Amber Ale Input Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDPR

Reaction score
Looking for a hoppy Amber that's not quite vaulted into Red IPA status.

Shooting for a piney, spicy, citrus Hop profile. I've had a tendency to focus on more fruity hops like Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy so need some advice on these old school "C" hops.

9.25lbs US 2 Row
1lb Munich I
.75lbs Crystal 40
.5lbs Crystal 120
.5lbs Victory

.45oz Chinook (13%) - 60 minutes
.5oz Chinook (13%) - 15 minutes
1oz Centennial - 5 minutes
1oz Cascade - 5 minutes

Wlp001

I'd really consider eliminating the 120L- it's got a toffee/burnt raisin note that can be quite overpowering. Or if not eliminated, at least reduce it quite a lot.

A really hoppy American amber can use up to 15% crystal malt, and I would use a mix of lighter (say, 10L or 20L or even 40L) and a darker (80L or 90L) crystal for more layers of flavor. I like victory malt, but it can be drying so I'd be sure to use a higher amount of lighter crystal.

I like that combination of hops!

I'd really consider eliminating the 120L- it's got a toffee/burnt raisin note that can be quite overpowering. Or if not eliminated, at least reduce it quite a lot.

A really hoppy American amber can use up to 15% crystal malt, and I would use a mix of lighter (say, 10L or 20L or even 40L) and a darker (80L or 90L) crystal for more layers of flavor. I like victory malt, but it can be drying so I'd be sure to use a higher amount of lighter crystal.

I like that combination of hops!

Should I eliminate the Victory entirely? Maybe up the 40L slightly and replace the 120L with 80L?

I'd second Yooper's suggestion to eliminate the 120L. Subbing in 80L seems like a better route to me, and I'd still keep it to 4-6 oz. I'd also look into Biscuit malt. I use that in most of my ambers, and it gives a nice bready taste without too much color. I use Victory in my darker beers - browns and the like; the color contribution seems to be a but darker to me.

Latest posts

Back