Amateur Question on Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveyP

Reaction score
Hey All,

Did my first all grain batch. It was a pale ale, and original gravity was 1.048. Bubbling in the primary started within hours of pitching the yeast, but stopped completely after the first day. I checked it after day 5 and gravity is still 1.030 with no more action happening.

I added more ale yeast, but this hasn't helped either. I tried swirling up the primary fermenter, but no dice.

The temp was a little high when I mashed, but shouldn't I see more action? Any thoughts on how to get the fermentation back?

I appreciate any advice. Cheers!

You can always try to raise the fermentation temeprature by a few degress. Let's say you started at 64-66F, you should bump it up to 70-72F to encourage the yeast to finish.

You say " The temp was a little high when I mashed, ... ": how high was that and how long did you keep that temperature? Is your thermometer/temp. probe accurate? You either had a bad reading or you denaturated the mash enzymes somehow.

Well, if I remember correctly I was about 5 to 10 C higher on the mash. So 40 to 50 F?

I believe the thermometer is accurate...its new and came with as a package with the turkey deep fryer I used.

I'll try raising the temp in the primary bucket and cross my fingers. Should I try to stir up the yeast that's settled out as well or let it be?

Thanks kindly for the input!

You can always try to raise the fermentation temeprature by a few degress. Let's say you started at 64-66F, you should bump it up to 70-72F to encourage the yeast to finish.

You say " The temp was a little high when I mashed, ... ": how high was that and how long did you keep that temperature? Is your thermometer/temp. probe accurate? You either had a bad reading or you

In that case, 5 to 10 degrees C is a bit too much. If the mash is too hot, you would have denaturated the enzymes, which means your wort only had a minimum amount of fermentable sugars, which means there is a possibility your FG has been reached, especially when your fermentation kicked off.

To lower FG, you could try some enzymes like those used for Brut IPAs. It could work.

Well, I guess I should have not drank so many well trying to brew my own!

Thanks again for the info. Lesson learned for the next batch

If you have some iodophor you can run a quick iodine/starch conversion test to confirm if it's a mash problem or not.

Thanks KB12...that's a great idea. I'll give that a try. I added some Energizer yesterday and amped up the temp a bit. J got a few more bubbles through the airlock but not much.

Out of curiosity, I went for a strike temperature of about 70 C, but as I mentioned, I was a little higher. Is that an ideal strike temp when mashing for a pale ale?

Side note, I was doing BIAB.

Cheers!

Thanks KB12...that's a great idea. I'll give that a try. I added some Energizer yesterday and amped up the temp a bit. J got a few more bubbles through the airlock but not much.

Out of curiosity, I went for a strike temperature of about 70 C, but as I mentioned, I was a little higher. Is that an ideal strike temp when mashing for a pale ale?

Side note, I was doing BIAB.

Cheers!

Your strike temp is going to be based off of how much grain you have and how much water you have. Strike temp can/will change with different recipes.

Back