Amarillo/Willamette IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GammaRay4130

Reaction score
Anyone ever used this combo in an IPA? This will be my 3rd all grain batch, this is what I was thinking of using with what I have on hand at the moment.

Grains:
11lb 2-row
0.5lb crystal 60
0.5lb carapils

Hops
0.75 oz Columbus 16.3AA - 60 min
0.5 oz Amarillo 8.4AA - 15 min
0.5 oz Willamette 5AA - 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo 8.4AA - Flameout
0.5 oz Willamette 5AA - Flameout
Dry hop 0.5oz of each Amarillo and Willamette for 7 days, last 3 being cold crashed.

How does this look?

I also will have a quarter oz of columbus left over that I am not sure where to use. Like I said this will be my 3rd ag brew and 6th total so a lot of this is new to me.

I did make the all amarillo IPA extract recipe from the recipes section which I really liked, as well as my friends so I am all out of it now, but I am wondering how the amarillo and willamette hops will pair up. Thanks :mug:

Yeah this is 5 gallons, the only other hops I have here is an ounce of tettenang which probably wont help an IPA, but I can run to the LHBS to grab some more hops tomorrow since I will probably be brewing Sunday.

I've used Willamette/Amarillo/Columbus together in a Black IPA and they pair up great.

I'd say you should definitely use that leftover .25 oz of Columbus for dry hopping. .25 oz is enough to add to the aroma but not overwhelm the Willamette and Amarillo.

I would also consider splitting your flameout hops in half and adding half at flameout and half at 160 degrees in the whirlpool and do a hopstand.

More hops would probably be good.

Just me maybe, but I don't think Willamette would work too well in an IPA. For me it's too earthy, better suited for an ESB imo

Back