Am I screwed? Broken fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Horrible

Reaction score
I put my kegging setup together today to give it a dry run with cleaning solution (run it through the lines) and I could hear CO2 leaking from the tank/regulator fitting. I took it off and found that the mating piece had broken from over torquing or god knows what.

P6v8zJH.jpg

Is this the main seal for this connection, am I screwed? I didn't see any o-rings or gaskets in this fitting so I'm not sure how it should fit and what provides the seal. It's a really nice dual regulator setup (probably $150+) and I'd hate to have to scrap the whole thing because of this one broken piece.

It looks like this piece can actually unscrew from the regulator body, but I haven't had any luck getting it off. It's on there nice and tight. Not sure if I can easily find a replacement piece for that, either.

Sort of not screwed.

You should have a plastic gasket that sits between the tank and the reg fitting. It's a little disc that should seal the gap where you've got the broken coupling. You only need one crush gasket for the fitting to seal.

You should be able get a replacement stem for the regulator, they're not that expensive. Most gas houses will have them, or you could try weld shops.

A good homebrew shop will have a replacement as well. Should be around $3-4.

For what it's worth, I was able to get past this issue. I reapplied teflon tape to the tank threads, and used a generous amount of teflon tape to wrap around the broken piece to create a makeshift O-ring. Torqued it back on nice and tight and it passes the bubble test.

Considering how crazy cheap it is to fix the problem correctly, i would avoid temporary fixes that could cost you leaking out everything (whether it be co2 or beer).

I agree with you and I will be ordering the o-ring. But I had time this weekend to start the process so I wanted to at least get it started while I wait.

Also, you shouldn't put PTFE tape on those threads. On that type of fitting the o-ring / washer provides the seal, not the threads, so the tape can actually interfere with a proper seal.

Also, you shouldn't put PTFE tape on those threads. On that type of fitting the o-ring / washer provides the seal, not the threads, so the tape can actually interfere with a proper seal.
How do I know which threads to use the tape on? My LHBS guy told me to use the teflon tape.

You use teflon tape on connections that require the threads themself to make the seal. ie. pipe, male / female connections. Some connections require require a gasket or a flared mating surface. With high pressure gasses ie. Oxygen, any added material can cause spontanious combustion because of the pressure, this is dangerious.

PTFE tape is for tapered threads, in which the thread itself makes the seal. The only tapered fittings you're likely to run into are NPT, national pipe thread. The other end of that nipple (that screws into the regulator body) is NPT.

You need a new nipple on your regulator.......Pronto!

With part of that raised "boss" broken off there, your "patch" to seal it won't last long, as you are seeing bottle pressure at that point.

Check with your LHBS and see if they have a "parts pile" within, that you might rob the piece you need from another regulator, or you will be out of C O 2 when you ain't lookin'!

Look at you're threads where it screws into the regulator body before you attempt the swap.

Threads slant to the right: R/H threads............To the left: L/H threads.

This, just so ya' don't create another problem!

Latest posts

Back