Am I nuts? Looking for a specific wiring diagram

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbonnet

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I've been scouring the wiring diagrams in the P-J thread and don't see one that shows what I'm trying to do and its making me wonder if the way I'm planning my setup is out of the ordinary.

I'm trying to control an HLT and a RIMS tube. Leave the boil kettle out of the process because I have that squared away already.

-I have a 5500W 240V element installed in the HLT that will run at 240V
-I have a 5500W 240V element installed in an 18" RIMS tube that I want to run at 110V
-I have 2 pumps
-I would like to use Auber PIDS, 2 of them. One for each element.

I have 50Amp service available and require the use of both elements at the same time so I can be mashing in and heating sparge water concurrently.

Is anyone else doing something like this or am I nuts?

Thank you.
Jim

Is the reasoning for running the RIMS at 110 because you have a 5500 watt @ 240V in the BK as well?

If you find a diagram for a two PID, two element, 50a, 240v build, you should be able to follow that, with the exception of running H-N-G (rather than H-H-G) to your RIMS element that you want to run at 120v.

Is the reasoning for running the RIMS at 110 because you have a 5500 watt @ 240V in the BK as well?

No, the boil kettle is not electric at this time. I have natural gas so this is a hybrid setup.

The reason for 110V in the RIMS tube is that is was my impression that the 5500W element run at 110V will give me super low wattage density and the least chance of not scorching the recirculated wort.

Cheers-
Jim

I did the same thing before I got all of my parts in. Looked at several threads, hunters build was a frequent read for me. Once I got all the parts in I had a few friends help with the layout and changed things to fit my needs. If you have zero electric background or friends that do it for a living I would either buy a kit with a diagram or find a diagram and buy the parts listed on it and follow it. Expect hiccups along the way and be ready to trouble shoot. I order a lot of my parts from ebrew supply and their customer service is second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There are no practical reasons you couldn't do this. Your electrical source is large enough to give you all the capacity you need.

I am doing basically the same set up you describe, except I am controlling my HLT element with a PWM controller instead of a PID.

Only difference is I unplug my HLT and plug in an electric BK during the boil.

Latest posts

Back