Am I done? (almost braggot)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

Reaction score
I'm made what is NOT officially a "braggot" because more then 1/2 of the fermentables are not honey. This Saturday will mark 3 weeks fermenting. My questions are, is 1.027 a good final gravity for this recipe? I have read a lot of things about how "dry" it should be at the end. My original was 1.104. My other question is, since this is more of a beer then a mead, this should be done now and I should be ready for bottling, correct?

my fermentables are...

5.5 Lbs - Orange Blossom Honey
3 lbs - briess cbw bavarian wheat liquid extract
2 lbs - Briess DME Golden Light
2 lbs - Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
1 lbs - White Wheat Malt
.5 lbs - Pale Malt, 2 Row, US
.5 oz. - muntons carra pils 2 row barley

If it is done fermenting (it seems to be), it all comes down to bulk aging vs bottle aging. With that high of gravity, it will need time to mellow out, much more than 3 weeks. If you need the carboy/bucket/whatever, I'd say bottle it up. If not, let it ride for a couple months and then bottle it up.

so you think I should move it to a secondary and let it age?

I would only suggest a secondary if you want to let it sit for more than three months. Otherwise, it'll be fine in the primary.

I made a wheat beer last year and then got busy and forgot about it in the primary for, eh, now I'm embarrassed, 5 months. Kegged it, it was a little clear for a hefe but damn fine beer.

Back