Am I crazy or no....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1611av

Reaction score
New partial mash graduate here...

Seeing I'm new to working with grains, I'm not sure if this wheat I bought was the wrong kind or I was sent the wrong kind. I was under the impression that wheat beers shouldn't be that dark and that grain is pretty dark. Got it from Midwest - Pale Wheat - 1 lb. :: Midwest Supplies . BTW I was doing a simple wheat with orange zest and coriander. So is this the right grain or am I nuts ?

1412tt1.jpg

That is what the bag says, cara wheat. It's definetly not the same thing as pale wheat. Let them know and you just scored a free pound of cara wheat. They'll get you what you ordered.

Cara wheat is a caramelized wheat, typically around 40L. Definitely not pale wheat. Might be an interesting experiment, but if you want a regular wheat beer, you need pale.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't carawheat have a lot of dextrines in it?

Anything labeled "Cara" is caramel/crystal style malt specifically from Weyermann®. Its their brand. Cara Wheat would have no more dextrins than a similar caramel wheat malt. Caramel malts tend to have longer chained dextrins, which is why adding them to beer makes it sweeter.

Latest posts

Back