Always getting lower OG than expected...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
On my last three batches I have gotten a lower OG than expected. The first two were supposed to be OG~1.055 and I actually got 2-4 points lower. Today I did my first "big" beer, supposed to be OG 1.077 but I got 1.066!

I can't think of what is going wrong. I'm still doing extract brews. The weights of extract/fermentables are correct. The volumes water is correct. I marked the carboy in 1/2 gallon increments by weighing water, where each 1/2 gallon is 1891 grams. The volumes/weights in the recipe calculator (brewers friend) are also correct. The hydrometer is calibrated to 1.000 in distilled water at 60F. I am temp correcting the samples.

After I add the wort and top off water to the carboy, I slosh it back and forth to mix it and then pull out a sample. I let the sample sit for at least 10 minutes so the foam goes away, then I read it. I also use whilfloc so a there is usually 1-2 inches of fluff at the bottom of the sample tube.

Here's the recipe I did today that had an OG 11 points under what was expected...

Brew Method: Extract
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.026
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.077
Final Gravity: 1.026
ABV (standard): 6.75%
IBU (tinseth): 67.73
SRM (morey): 7.07

FERMENTABLES:
8.5 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (68%)
1.5 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Munich (12%)
0.5 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (4%)
1 lb - Cane Sugar - (late addition) (8%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.75 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (6%)
0.25 lb - United Kingdom - Carastan Light (15L) (2%)

HOPS:
0.8 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 41.96
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 9.25
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 16.52
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.6, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 0 min

It is harder to mix the sugars with the top-off water than you think, and it is worse with higher gravity beers (more sugar). If you had a spigot and took a sample from the bottom, you would probably find you would be getting higher readings than expected.

If it is extract, trust the recipe.

So how do I take a more reliable OG reading? If I mix it better will it stay mixed or will it start to separate again?

With extract, you don't need to take readings.

I partial mash. I take a reading of the wort after I have mashed so I know how much sugar it has contributed to the beer, but I rarely take a gravity reading of the final wort after the extract has been added. I just calculate it.

To get a better reading, you need to do a full boil, or keep mixing for longer.

Get a refractometer and measure the gravity in your boil. Boil until you hit your OG.

How does boil duration affect OG? It is just because you're boiling off water? I do have a refractometer but was never able to get it to match the hydrometer, so I stopped using it. I am limited to partial boils at the moment, 2.5-3 gallons.

Have you tested to see if the half gallon measurements are the same by volume as by weight?

Sort of. I used a Home Depot paint mixing bucket to hold the water. 1/2 gallon by weight was just under 2qt as indicated on the bucket. I figured the bucket was off and the weight was the more accurate method. Even if I underestimated the volume of water this should make the OG higher.

Back