Aluminum as hot liquir kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlecksBrewHouse

Reaction score
I know there's the argument about aluminum vs stainless steel. I've moved into a modified stainless steel keg for my wore boiler now, but I'm still using aluminum for my hot liquor cooker. Any comment there for aluminum vs stainless for hot liquor?

I use an aluminum pot for my hot water tank and have been for the past couple of years. No problems. About twice a year I fill it up and boil water in it for about 10 minutes to clean it and maintain that oxide layer.

It also doubles as my BIAB kettle for stove-top brewing in the winter!

I use aluminum for my HLT. Just boil some water in it to develop the black protective layer. Then don't clean off that black stuff. I think aluminum is ideal for the HLT.

Just make sure you don't forget it with a little bit of water and a copper pick up tube that touches the bottom. Or you could have oxidized holes in the bottom of your kettle next time you go to brew. I used to have an aluminum HLT. . .

Jbear said:
Just make sure you don't forget it with a little bit of water and a copper pick up tube that touches the bottom. Or you could have oxidized holes in the bottom of your kettle next time you go to brew. I used to have an aluminum HLT. . .

Ill remember that. Copper and aluminum don't get along.
-Thanks

Back