Alternative to a Muslin Bag....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
Just brewed a 2 gallon batch of Caribou Slobber and noticed after steeping the specialty grains that there was a 3/8" hole in the bottom of the muslin bag that allowed some of the grain to leak into the wort. Is there a more reliable alternative? Thanks!

I used to use muslin bags a lot and never had a hole in it. Either it came that way and you didn't notice it or something snagged it when you were using it.

I use nylon bags from BSG for hop additions. They work great. I assume they would work for grains as well. A quick google search would bring up a ton of alternatives.

I used to use muslin bags a lot and never had a hole in it. Either it came that way and you didn't notice it or something snagged it when you were using it.

I use nylon bags from BSG for hop additions. They work great. I assume they would work for grains as well. A quick google search would bring up a ton of alternatives.

Thanks, can they be used again and again or do you throw away after one use?

One gallon paint strainer bags would be good in a pinch. I like the hop bags better if that's the ones with the draw strings. Both styles of bags should be able to be used again and again.

I hate muslin bags. Never had one that didn't have a hole somewhere.

One gallon paint strainer bags would be good in a pinch. I like the hop bags better if that's the ones with the draw strings. Both styles of bags should be able to be used again and again.

I hate muslin bags. Never had one that didn't have a hole somewhere.

Thanks, is it ok to boil the paint strainer bags?

Wilser Bags are the best way to go if you're looking for something that is going to be reusable. Everything else is subpar in my opinion. You could get a smaller bag and use it like a muslin bag but to get better extraction I would recommend getting a bag that covers your entire kettle, that way you can add the grains directly to the kettle and pull the bag when you're done. This would also give you the option of doing partial mash or BIAB brewing methods as well.

http://biabbags.webs.com/

They wouldn't flow very well. The nylon bags are great. They can be had in all different sizes & course mesh to fine. I like them more, as they're easier to clean. I have one in 5G size to stretch over the lip of my kettle for PM as well.

Wilser Bags are the best way to go if you're looking for something that is going to be reusable. Everything else is subpar in my opinion. You could get a smaller bag and use it like a muslin bag but to get better extraction I would recommend getting a bag that covers your entire kettle, that way you can add the grains directly to the kettle and pull the bag when you're done. This would also give you the option of doing partial mash or BIAB brewing methods as well.

http://biabbags.webs.com/

+1 Wilserbrewer bags are the best. Get one and be done.

Latest posts

Back