Alternative Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Malt

Reaction score
I am a seasoned homebrewer about to make my first kit wine. I understand the sanitizer of choice for making wine is sulfites. However, I am very sesnitive to sulfites to the point I do not want to use them. Is there an alternative? I understand chlorine is out. How about Starsan??

Thanks in advance.

Dr Malt :eek:

Thanks all. I am interested in seeing the responses to huesmann's question. I have not had a problem with chlorine used for plastic containers for brewing. As long as I rinse well.

Dr Malt

I've been using chlorine so far with a lot of rinsing and not had any problems yet. I do have some starsan, but i can't use it with my water. Might be able to use bottled water but i can't find distilled at an alright price so not sure how good the mineral water will be... To be tested.

Rinsing with H2O brings with it a slight risk of putting back some of the bacteria you are trying to get rid of. Starsan is far easier to work with. No rinse means it is working until you add the juice/grapes/wort and you are not using extra water.

Like others here, I use and like starsan. The original poster wanted an alternative to sulfites. This goes in the other direction, but my LHBS recommends using "old" potassium metabisulfite as a sanitizer. Evidently it loses some potency over time, and this is a way to use it after a year or so. I'm thinking a solution of it might make a better pump sanitizer than starsan, which foams quite a bit going through the transfer pump. Is that a reasonable way to use it?

I use Oxysan, I get it from Canada. I have never found it in the US. ($.02)

I am a seasoned homebrewer about to make my first kit wine. I understand the sanitizer of choice for making wine is sulfites. However, I am very sesnitive to sulfites to the point I do not want to use them. Is there an alternative? I understand chlorine is out. How about Starsan??

Thanks in advance.

Dr Malt :eek:

Starsan rocks! Works great! A lot easier than sulfites.
Regards, GF.

As long as I rinsed out the container real good after the last use I generally go...
a) is it dry? if no, rinse (just water)
b) is there no mold or something funky? if yes, break out the carboy brush, scrub, rinse (just water)
c) proceed brewing :)

Latest posts

Back