Alternative keg pressure system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymn

Reaction score
I want to give a partial corny keg to a friend for his 4th of July party, but I need to keep my reg and tank for my own festivities. Any thoughts on another way to dispense from a keg?

I thought about removing the stem from inside and dispensing with the keg upside down, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I guess I could also cough up the dough for a counter pressure bottle filler, but i'd rather this be a low investment endeavor.

Matt

Partial corny keg, so lots of available volume...
....pressurize the balls out of it. Follow the ratings on the keg and don't overpressurize it. I *think* that one of my kegs can handle 80-100 pounds. Hope that your dispenser can handle it ;)

If you pressurize a half full keg to 15 PSI, it will dispense all of the ale without any additional CO2. It will still be at 7.5 PSI when empty. That's all it takes. A longer party tap line is a good idea.

How do you measure out 1/2 a keg? Easy, make a liquid to liquid hose, get a three foot peice of 2x6 board and a peice of 1/2 inch pipe. Place the board on the pipe and put the full keg on one side, the empty on the other. Connect, let ale flow until they balance. Done.

david_42 said:
How do you measure out 1/2 a keg? Easy, make a liquid to liquid hose, get a three foot peice of 2x6 board and a peice of 1/2 inch pipe. Place the board on the pipe and put the full keg on one side, the empty on the other. Connect, let ale flow until they balance. Done.

Wouldn't it be easier to just put the keg on a scale and fill it until it wieghs 20 lbs? Liquid is 8lbs per gallon so just put an empty keg on a scale, zero it out and fill it to 20lbs...

Easier? Yes, if you have exactly the right kind of scale. Boards & pipe I have lots of.

Besides, the board and pipe solution takes exactly half the liquid from one keg and puts it into the other. An even split, as opposed to computing the average weight of the beer and putting roughly half in another keg.

Thanks for the advice. Here's my lastest idea.

Since the keg will be emptied and oxidation is not a concern, I thought about hooking a bicycle pump to the gas inlet and it'll work like a party pump for a commercial keg. This way I could put normal pressure on the beer and when the CO2 is gone, they can pump it. Any reason this would not work?

Matt

Only that you are adding oxygen to the beer, but if you drink it fast enough I can see it being a problem>

Just to be sure, I would only pump while the tap is open, so you don't build up to much pressure. I can't see that happening as long as you don't go crazy with the pumping.

IGOR

kornkob said:
Besides, the board and pipe solution takes exactly half the liquid from one keg and puts it into the other. An even split, as opposed to computing the average weight of the beer and putting roughly half in another keg.

A standard bathroom scale works fine, throw it on the scale and fill it however full you want @ 8lbs per gallon. 2 gallons = 16lbs, 3 gallons = 24lbs. Its simple. I brew 25 gallon batches and I fill 5 kegs with 40lbs of beer. It comes out perfect every time.

If you use a board and pipe. The kegs have to be EXACTLY the same distance from the PVC. 1/2" off either way will make a big difference in how accurate your measurment will be. The PVC has to be perfectly square with the board and you have to take into concideration the Co2 connector with the hose attached to the tank.

If you wanted to use a board, the pipe would not work as good as a triangle block thats about 2" high. The triangle won't roll and will give you more height for better accuracy but you still have the problem with the hose.

I thought you were looking for a simple solution.....

another solution, i think was implied above is to use the co2 catridges with the co2 injector thing with a trigger. i think it's less than 20 bucks, reusable with more co2 catridges, and seems to be very handy for these sorts of things.

Didn't think about this till this thread but...

Say your were going to drink it that evening, then oxygen would not be a problem.

flip the keg upside down, put a hose-less connector on the liquid side(a breathing port), then put your tap on the oxygen side and let gravity do the work. You won't get the rubbery taste from the bike pump and you don't have to do anything fancy.

the only problem would be the cup left when the keg is empty, and keeping it cold.

Back