Alternative CO2 Regulator Pressure Adjustment Screw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for an alternative CO2 regulator pressure adjustment screw.

I am referring to the screw that is used to change the pressure. My regulator has a regular screw, which means that anytime I want to change the pressure I need to find a screwdriver, a penny, or whatnot.

Does anyone make a replacement that allows me to turn it by hand?

I have a dual Cornelius regulator style pl-60.

How about a bolt with the same threads, with a wingnut, then another nut threaded up on it to keep it in place? Cheap DIY solution, just a thought.

Take the screw to the hardware store.

Find thumbscrew with matching threads.

Replace.

Drink homebrew.

A little JB Weld and a knob. Probably easier than finding a thumb-screw with the same thread.

Small pair of channel-locks.

Not necessarily convenient or cost effective. But hey, we're just tossing out ideas, right?

Chudnow regulators use a 5/16"-18 screw that is 1 1/4" long.

Plastic-Head Thumb Screw Black Rosette Head, 5/16"-18 Thread, 1-1/4" Length

Rosette.gif

Well... I just tried taking the adjustment screw out of the regulator and it will not come out. I looked at the end and it appears that it is not a regular screw anyhow. There appears to be an odd threading change that occurs at the end of the screw. Maybe to prevent people from taking the thread out :)

I think I am going to go with the JB Weld thing. Maybe weld a small length of solid metal pipe to the end.

I also have a dual body regulator from keg connections. Since the screw is permanently attached to the body (designed to distribute 50 PSI max) I am going to try using this type of hex head screw thumb knob. Hope this helps those who are also converting to a tool-less regulator setup.

Actually... that is exactly what I was looking for... THANKS!

I too was tired of grabbing a screwdriver to adjust my regulators. My new ones have a knob to make it easy but I have 3 Taprite regulators that I fixed. Went to local hardware store and bought a split roll pin (5/32" x 1 1/2") for each regulator screw. I center punched and pre-drilled a hole followed by a 5/32" drill bit. Hammered in the split roll pin and it works perfect.
It cost me .69 cents for each pin and if you need the drill bit you can get one for $1.49. Oh...and about 2 minutes to do the job !! Cheers!

TapRiteFix.JPG

SplitRollPin.JPG

Last edited:
I just leave a screwdriver in my kegerator, but really how often do you adjust it? I do maybe once a year, if that.

Back