Altering "normal" recipe for ultra high ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I'm into the first steps of working toward an ultra high ABV brew. The first experiment involves doubling the fermentables on a brew that I believe is worthy of being the recipe for my ultra high ABV beer. In this case, I simply added invert sugar in several "feedings" (3 additions).

I'm hoping that the resulting brew will help guide me to what recipe changes I need to soften or mask the high alcohol bite. The object is to scale this brew all the way to 20 percent in several steps, altering the recipe as needed, but trying to maintain as much similarity as possible.

I'm expecting to make alterations such as increasing the malt backbone, or increasing body to compensate..... I'm not sure which direction I will need to take, but those are about the only two options. Some people have suggested scaling the OG to around 1.080 as a starting point and mashing low (under 150), as a starting point, then feeding invert sugar to it. Others suggest that increasing body is necessary to mask the high alcohol.

Clearly, by the time I've gone through a series of brews of increasing gravity, I'll have a pretty good idea about this, but it's always preferable to have a guiding voice of experience.

H.W.

Back