Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just bottled 3 Six Packs of an Altbier. Plan is to condition at 70 for about 3 weeks and then lager around 35 for a month. What do you think?

Untitled.jpg

I haven't made an ALT in years, but I kind of remember it taking a long time to smooth out to the point that I liked it.

Now you make me want to brew another one. :D

I say try one after two weeks. Then three weeks. Then drink when they taste delicious....whatever week that happens to be. Beer is a living organism that changes over time, and sometimes quickly.

BTW, what was your recipe (grist/hops/yeast, etc). I'm always on the lookout for a new alt recipe to try or glean ideas from :D

Strictly my own. Did not copy from any book. I looked at the BJCP listing of grains used and then did my thing. Never had an Alt so I don't really know what it should taste like. But who cares if it's just for me and not a contest. LOL This was for a 2 gallon batch. Mashed w/2.8 gal, 2.7 into the boil pot and 1.75 into 17 bottles.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 57.1 %
1 lbs 6.4 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 40.0 %
1.6 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.9 %
0.25 oz Magnum [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 45.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 5 4.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle German Ale (DCL/Fermentis #K-97) [23.66 ml] Yeast 7 -

I love this style, but have only brewed it a handful of times. I found that the beer was really great after 6 weeks of cold storage. I tend to go 3 weeks primary, then cold storage (lager) either in the keg or bottle. Taste after 3 weeks to see where it's at. Then pound them once it gets 'there'.

Strictly my own. Did not copy from any book. I looked at the BJCP listing of grains used and then did my thing. Never had an Alt so I don't really know what it should taste like. But who cares if it's just for me and not a contest. LOL This was for a 2 gallon batch. Mashed w/2.8 gal, 2.7 into the boil pot and 1.75 into 17 bottles.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 57.1 %
1 lbs 6.4 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 40.0 %
1.6 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.9 %
0.25 oz Magnum [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 45.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 5 4.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle German Ale (DCL/Fermentis #K-97) [23.66 ml] Yeast 7 -

Thanks for sharing. That grain bill is very similar to the 4 versions I've brewed, and your hops are classic so should be a great fit. Plenty of bitterness and coupled with appropriate yeast - I think you've got a great rendition brewing! Now I'm itching to brew another alt :D

Thanks again!

I do an Altbier and a DoppleAltbier every fall. I use WY1007, and lager for 3-6 weeks before bottling. LOVE the Alt! Before the alts, I do a kolsch to build up the yeast and then store it and reuse.

Latest posts

Back