Alpha acids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short of sending a sample to the lab, it is a little difficult. There is some info out there on the net on how to measure alpha acid content by titration. I tried it myself when I first started growing hops and quickly decided it was too much trouble and the results were questionable to me. What I do nowadays is assign an estimated value based on what commercial crops are running at and then make adjustments if I feel the numbers are off. This will put you close enough to get started. Alternatively, you could buy some commercial hops of the same variety with known alpha acid content and brew up a tea in the coffee maker. Then brew up a tea with the same ammount of homegrown hops and taste them side by side. If the homegrown hop tea is more or less bitter tasting than the commercial tea, then adjust the AA value accordingly.

Latest posts

Back