Almond Extract in Nut Brown Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboyrsl

Reaction score
So I want to add a little almond flavor to my nut brown ale I'm planing on brewing soon, how should I go about doing this? I was thinking extract but I'm not really sure how much and when to add it. I want it to add some good flavor but not overpower the already great flavors of the nut brown ale. I read somewhere that the extract should be added with the priming sugar right before bottling but I'm not sure? HELP!!

According to the book, "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff, if you are using extract, you want to use it at bottling to taste. This means that you don't have to add it in the priming solution but put it right into your flat beer. This gives you the chance to mix it in and then taste it but don't stir too hard; you want to minimize oxidation! Anyway, Jamil suggest 0.5 oz of extract to start off with.

I've added less than 0.3 oz of star anise to a beer before and it came out dominating. Although spices are different than liquid extracts, the moral of the story is to start small. Once you put it in, you'll have a hard time getting it out! I hope this helps!

I made a pecan porter from AHS. It called for 1 oz. of pecan extract at bottling. It's been bottled for a month and the pecan flavor is overwhelming. I hope it mellows out with time, but I would only use 1/2 oz. if I were to do it again. So go easy with the almond extract is my recommendation.

Latest posts

Back