Quantcast

Allagash brewing Lambic video

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

PseudoChef

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
3,401
Reaction score
117
Location
West Chicago 'Burbs
Searched and didn't find this posted yet. Very cool!

[youtube]wD_49kfVJeE[/youtube]

NM, not working for some reason...here's the yt link:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

runhard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
442
Reaction score
4
Location
Buda, TX
There was no specified time for the fermentation other than just a long time. Do those who brew in the lambic-style worry about lysis of yeast that are old and quiescent? Aren't many lambic actually a mix of several batches of differing ages?
 

landhoney

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
9
Location
West Palm, FL
runhard said:
Aren't many lambic actually a mix of several batches of differing ages?
Gueze is blended lambics from several different years. They do sell unblended lambics though.

Allagash has got some balls. That's really cool that they're doing that in a traditional matter. I imagine they tried this on a smaller scale, made sure it worked well, and then went ahead with the big batch. But maybe not, I hope it turns our great. Does anyone know when they made this?
 

zoebisch01

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,180
Reaction score
11
Location
Central PA
Nice :D. The room shows their commitment. I always suspected they used Briess malt!
 

sTango

Dunwich Brewing Co.
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, Tn
ohhhh...i wanna see what happened next in the fermenation room....hopefully there will be another video soon...
 

ohiobrewtus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
7,762
Reaction score
72
Location
Ohio
Great video indeed. I was hoping that they'd show it fermenting before the video ended, but very cool nonetheless.
 

GloHoppa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
440
Reaction score
2
A++ video, it is always really cool to see the smaller breweries getting experimental like that
 

korndog

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
9
Location
westlake village, ca
That's a great video. Do they spike the room somehow, or is it really just wildly fermented using whatever is floating around?

KD
 

Nate

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
704
Reaction score
21
Location
Virginia
korndog said:
That's a great video. Do they spike the room somehow, or is it really just wildly fermented using whatever is floating around?

KD
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I hope they don't end up with a big tank of massively infected beer.
 

debaniel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
I noticed that the ceiling is lined with wood planks...

perhaps they harvested some lumber from a Belgian forest?

perhaps they are old lumber from an old brewery (that would be quite a score)

?

i can't help but think that the wood on the ceiling is intentional...
 

sTango

Dunwich Brewing Co.
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, Tn
Nate said:
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I hope they don't end up with a big tank of massively infected beer.
Isnt that what a lambic basically is?
 

Nate

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
704
Reaction score
21
Location
Virginia
sTango said:
Isnt that what a lambic basically is?
Lambics still ferment with yeasties (wild ones in that area)... bacteria is the concern that I was referring to.
 

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
20,968
Reaction score
594
Location
Adams, MA
Nate said:
Lambics still ferment with yeasties (wild ones in that area)... bacteria is the concern that I was referring to.
FWIW, Wyeast's Lambic Blend includes a couple types of Brett (wild yeast), Sherry yeast, as well as lactobacillus.
 

Nate

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
704
Reaction score
21
Location
Virginia
the_bird said:
FWIW, Wyeast's Lambic Blend includes a couple types of Brett (wild yeast), Sherry yeast, as well as lactobacillus.
Haven't tried to brew a Lambic myself... one of these days. Does anyone know the significance of the "aged" hops? Some preservation thing geared towards long ferments?
 

RLinNH

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
1,021
Reaction score
39
Location
Bow, NH
Very cool video indeed. Some day I have to try an authentic lambic. My hats off to Allagash for this brew. I'll be looking for it in the future.
 

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
20,968
Reaction score
594
Location
Adams, MA
Nate said:
Haven't tried to brew a Lambic myself... one of these days. Does anyone know the significance of the "aged" hops? Some preservation thing geared towards long ferments?
Basically, they just want to use the hops for their preservative properties, which apparently are a separate issue from their AA%. Hopsdirect used to sell aged hops (0% AA%) pretty cheaply. They don't want any flavor or aroma, either.
 

runhard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
442
Reaction score
4
Location
Buda, TX
If any of you are still interested in their brewing technique, I sent an email to whomever receives them and told the reader that there was some interest and questions about their brewery and brewing techniques. If the head brewer or someone gets back to me I'll forward it along but I did ask the reader to visit the forum and read some of the questions because there were a group of people who were interested. Maybe someone will shed some light on what they've got going on.
 

debaniel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
sweet. I'm certainly interested in hearing their reply...
 

landhoney

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
9
Location
West Palm, FL
runhard said:
If any of you are still interested in their brewing technique, I sent an email to whomever receives them and told the reader that there was some interest and questions about their brewery and brewing techniques. If the head brewer or someone gets back to me I'll forward it along but I did ask the reader to visit the forum and read some of the questions because there were a group of people who were interested. Maybe someone will shed some light on what they've got going on.
Bravo! :mug:
 

sirsloop

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
2,587
Reaction score
24
Location
South River, NJ
aged hops have very very low AA's so they will not make the beer bitter. Hops are a natural preservative, so dumping in an absurd amount will help keep the beer from spoiling as it sits open to air.
 

Grimsawyer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
877
Reaction score
7
Location
Salem, OR
I've seen a few posts "it's not a true lambic"... Ok, what would make it a true lambic? What are they doing that would not make it a lambic. Cool vid for sure btw! Great find!
 

landhoney

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
9
Location
West Palm, FL
Grimsawyer said:
I've seen a few posts "it's not a true lambic"... Ok, what would make it a true lambic? What are they doing that would not make it a lambic. Cool vid for sure btw! Great find!
It the old, 'its not Champagne unless its from Champagne' thing. Unless it's spontaneously fermented in a specific area of Belgium, its not really Lambic. Designating/naming a beer can be a difficult issue. American Wild Ale is a 'category/name' but what is to distinguish a beer made in this manner with other American Wild Ales that are made with bought wild yeast and pitched into the beer?
 

Grimsawyer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
877
Reaction score
7
Location
Salem, OR
ok, so it is made exactly like a lambic just not done in the right zip code to be called a lambic.... ok...... why not just tag "american" on the front of it..... anyhow....... The only thing I would worry about with a lambic made in america is the difference in the yeast/brett. Wonder if it'll be similar or wildly different. I'd love to taste it reguardless of how much of a success it is or failure.
 
Top