Allagash brewing Lambic video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
Searched and didn't find this posted yet. Very cool!

[youtube]wD_49kfVJeE[/youtube]

NM, not working for some reason...here's the yt link:

Last edited by a moderator:
There was no specified time for the fermentation other than just a long time. Do those who brew in the lambic-style worry about lysis of yeast that are old and quiescent? Aren't many lambic actually a mix of several batches of differing ages?

runhard said:
Aren't many lambic actually a mix of several batches of differing ages?

Gueze is blended lambics from several different years. They do sell unblended lambics though.

Allagash has got some balls. That's really cool that they're doing that in a traditional matter. I imagine they tried this on a smaller scale, made sure it worked well, and then went ahead with the big batch. But maybe not, I hope it turns our great. Does anyone know when they made this?

ohhhh...i wanna see what happened next in the fermenation room....hopefully there will be another video soon...

Great video indeed. I was hoping that they'd show it fermenting before the video ended, but very cool nonetheless.

A++ video, it is always really cool to see the smaller breweries getting experimental like that

That's a great video. Do they spike the room somehow, or is it really just wildly fermented using whatever is floating around?

KD

korndog said:
That's a great video. Do they spike the room somehow, or is it really just wildly fermented using whatever is floating around?

KD

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I hope they don't end up with a big tank of massively infected beer.

I noticed that the ceiling is lined with wood planks...

perhaps they harvested some lumber from a Belgian forest?

perhaps they are old lumber from an old brewery (that would be quite a score)

?

i can't help but think that the wood on the ceiling is intentional...

sTango said:
Isnt that what a lambic basically is?

Lambics still ferment with yeasties (wild ones in that area)... bacteria is the concern that I was referring to.

Nate said:
Lambics still ferment with yeasties (wild ones in that area)... bacteria is the concern that I was referring to.

FWIW, Wyeast's Lambic Blend includes a couple types of Brett (wild yeast), Sherry yeast, as well as lactobacillus.

the_bird said:
FWIW, Wyeast's Lambic Blend includes a couple types of Brett (wild yeast), Sherry yeast, as well as lactobacillus.

Haven't tried to brew a Lambic myself... one of these days. Does anyone know the significance of the "aged" hops? Some preservation thing geared towards long ferments?

Very cool video indeed. Some day I have to try an authentic lambic. My hats off to Allagash for this brew. I'll be looking for it in the future.

Nate said:
Haven't tried to brew a Lambic myself... one of these days. Does anyone know the significance of the "aged" hops? Some preservation thing geared towards long ferments?

Basically, they just want to use the hops for their preservative properties, which apparently are a separate issue from their AA%. Hopsdirect used to sell aged hops (0% AA%) pretty cheaply. They don't want any flavor or aroma, either.

If any of you are still interested in their brewing technique, I sent an email to whomever receives them and told the reader that there was some interest and questions about their brewery and brewing techniques. If the head brewer or someone gets back to me I'll forward it along but I did ask the reader to visit the forum and read some of the questions because there were a group of people who were interested. Maybe someone will shed some light on what they've got going on.

runhard said:
If any of you are still interested in their brewing technique, I sent an email to whomever receives them and told the reader that there was some interest and questions about their brewery and brewing techniques. If the head brewer or someone gets back to me I'll forward it along but I did ask the reader to visit the forum and read some of the questions because there were a group of people who were interested. Maybe someone will shed some light on what they've got going on.

Bravo! :mug:

aged hops have very very low AA's so they will not make the beer bitter. Hops are a natural preservative, so dumping in an absurd amount will help keep the beer from spoiling as it sits open to air.

I've seen a few posts "it's not a true lambic"... Ok, what would make it a true lambic? What are they doing that would not make it a lambic. Cool vid for sure btw! Great find!

Grimsawyer said:
I've seen a few posts "it's not a true lambic"... Ok, what would make it a true lambic? What are they doing that would not make it a lambic. Cool vid for sure btw! Great find!

It the old, 'its not Champagne unless its from Champagne' thing. Unless it's spontaneously fermented in a specific area of Belgium, its not really Lambic. Designating/naming a beer can be a difficult issue. American Wild Ale is a 'category/name' but what is to distinguish a beer made in this manner with other American Wild Ales that are made with bought wild yeast and pitched into the beer?

ok, so it is made exactly like a lambic just not done in the right zip code to be called a lambic.... ok...... why not just tag "american" on the front of it..... anyhow....... The only thing I would worry about with a lambic made in america is the difference in the yeast/brett. Wonder if it'll be similar or wildly different. I'd love to taste it reguardless of how much of a success it is or failure.

Back