All NEW SPEIDEL Stainless add on parts from Nor Cal Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is going to very a little based on how tight you install the lock nut but it should be around 5 PSI. We are going to do a "BLAST" test today with a 30L. I want to see what happens if someone puts WAY too much pressure in it. We will video it for sure. Should be fun!

Cheers
Jay

Great news. I just tried my dip tube today and could never get it to stop leaking. I assume that I might've screwed it on too hard, but I eventually gave up and put on the stock valve (what a piece of junk) because it was time to sanitize the Speidel.

Looking forward to the new gasket.

I'm unable to get my dip tube to stop leaking also - been testing with water. I like the design but would be afraid to ferment a 6 gallon batch as is.

Fingers crossed for the new gasket.

I'm unable to get my dip tube to stop leaking also - been testing with water. I like the design but would be afraid to ferment a 6 gallon batch as is.

Fingers crossed for the new gasket.

Seriously man, I am sorry to hear that! Are you laying it on its back and being careful to put the gasket on the Speidel then carefully add the part, hold snug making sure not to slide it around while you add the lock ring and tighten it up. I have done this more times than I can count in the store and honestly man it works every time.

I have heard people using a 1.5" TC gasket with success as well.

Cheers
Jay

Seriously man, I am sorry to hear that! Are you laying it on its back and being careful to put the gasket on the Speidel then carefully add the part, hold snug making sure not to slide it around while you add the lock ring and tighten it up. I have done this more times than I can count in the store and honestly man it works every time.

I have heard people using a 1.5" TC gasket with success as well.

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay. Yes, I've been laying the Speidel on it back and tightening while trying to keep the gasket centered. Hopefully I can figure it out or just use the OEM spigot until the new gasket is available. I'm worried about having to test with water (if using the dip tube) between every batch to be sure there are no leaks. That would be kind of a bummer.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it another shot.

here is what i did. i actually managed to lose the gasket. Take the one from the cap and use that for now. Don't tighten too much. right how i have another rubber washer and a little plumber tape while i wait for the gasket of the gods from Jay. or try to use that.

And to add another topic in here. Jay, a nice upgrade on the dip tube would be to engrave/notch a mark that represents the direction of the opening. I'm doing that with my dremel tomorrow. makes it easy to know which way its pointing since as i rack I want it to start pointing up and then i can twist as i get near the bottom. just a thought.

here is what i did. i actually managed to lose the gasket. Take the one from the cap and use that for now. Don't tighten too much. right how i have another rubber washer and a little plumber tape while i wait for the gasket of the gods from Jay. or try to use that.

And to add another topic in here. Jay, a nice upgrade on the dip tube would be to engrave/notch a mark that represents the direction of the opening. I'm doing that with my dremel tomorrow. makes it easy to know which way its pointing since as i rack I want it to start pointing up and then i can twist as i get near the bottom. just a thought.

I have to mark mine also if I decide to use it as-is. I leave a gallon+ in trub behind in my IPA BIAB batches. Might just cut the tube right at the point it starts to bend.

I'll call the mold maker today. I was supposed to see the 3D print yesterday of the mold and gasket. I am pushing them as hard as I can push.. I'm not sure whats taking so long. I'll give em another call today.

Cheers
Jay

This gasket ever materialize?

Hey Jay, do you have any plans to make stainless coil to go in through the top for controlling temperatures?

Has not been on the horizon. I think the hole it need to go through is a bit small as is the cap space we have available. Feel free to PM me if you have an idea you think will work for you. I can look and see if its plausible to build for you.

Cheers
Jay

Jay, I use my 20l Speidel as a cask/pressure barrel, using the stock tap as the outlet and the gas inlet for a cask breather (thinking of using your pressure relief and ball-lock fitting for that). I'm looking at fitting it with a dip tube to maximize the amount I can get out, but I'd like a decent serving faucet (I don't like the chrome one that Speidel makes either) on it, and I'd like to avoid having internal threads sat in the beer due to stacking adapters if possible.

Is possible for you to make your diptubes with a thread so that it could replace the ball-lock disconnect in one of these ball-lock faucets? I guess you could use a smaller tube as the flare fitting will restrict the flow anyway.

3790.jpg

It turns out Jay can do that! Thanks, it looks great.

I can't post pictures here, so I can't show the pictures of the final setup.

It turns out Jay can do that! Thanks, it looks great.

I can't post pictures here, so I can't show the pictures of the final setup.

I'll post em up for ya! Thanks for the build! It was fun!
Here is the picture of the faucet adapter build for the Speidel. We just added the FFL fitting to the dip tube. We had a little work there to get it all to mate, fit and look right. Cool idea!

Cheers
Jay

Speidelfaucet.jpg

Jay, I have a Speidel Gas In with Pressure Relief Valve from you. It won't hold more than 3psi. I have adjusted the screw to raise the psi and it still releases at around 3 psi. I've put teflon tape on per your suggestion in the website as well with no luck.

I'm looking to put a spunding valve onto my Speidel when fermentation is wrapping up.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Is there a way to get a gas in piece without the prv? I shouldn't need it because I will be using a spunding valve.

Jay, I have a Speidel Gas In with Pressure Relief Valve from you. It won't hold more than 3psi. I have adjusted the screw to raise the psi and it still releases at around 3 psi. I've put teflon tape on per your suggestion in the website as well with no luck.

I'm looking to put a spunding valve onto my Speidel when fermentation is wrapping up.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Is there a way to get a gas in piece without the prv? I shouldn't need it because I will be using a spunding valve.

Have you taken the spring off and just stretched it out a little. It's just a spring so were at the mercy of the spring manufacturer on that one between 3 and 5. You can always add a little stainless washer as well to get it to sit tighter.
But yeah I can custom build you a GAS IN without the PRV for sure. I also have a 20# spring if you want to go that route.

Let me know and we can work out the details.

Cheers
Jay

I'll post em up for ya! Thanks for the build! It was fun!
Here is the picture of the faucet adapter build for the Speidel. We just added the FFL fitting to the dip tube. We had a little work there to get it all to mate, fit and look right. Cool idea!
Thanks again,

I'm sure if you were developing this as a product, you'd go with a narrower dip tube that would make attaching the flare fitting easier. But there's probably not demand for that just yet.

Maybe when the long awaited day of cask bitter becoming the next big thing in the US finally arrives... ;)

Any thoughts on a better the top lid gasket? I notice that my gasket (about 6 months and 10 batches old) now partially goes under the lip of the screw-on top lid and probably is a CO2 leak site. I do get bubbling in the huge air lock for the first 24 hour or so of a fermentation and then it's quiet. Plenty of kruesen so I know the yeast are working; I'd just like to seal it up better if I could. Thanks.

Any thoughts on a better the top lid gasket? I notice that my gasket (about 6 months and 10 batches old) now partially goes under the lip of the screw-on top lid and probably is a CO2 leak site. I do get bubbling in the huge air lock for the first 24 hour or so of a fermentation and then it's quiet. Plenty of kruesen so I know the yeast are working; I'd just like to seal it up better if I could. Thanks.
Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FN0ZV6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

I just ordered these (last ones) hopefully they fit well. I looked into finding a replacement gasket for the lid before since the OEM ones seem to get stretched out and don't fit very well after a couple of uses. I was only able to find any in bulk so thanks for the link. Somebody who sells Speidels and accessories should consider selling a replacement gasket. I dunno maybe @Jaybird ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that on my 60l, it seems stretched, but it u first seat it in the lid at 12,3,6, and 9, it goes in without much issue.
Though I think the design between the smaller ones and larger are different.

I just ordered these (last ones) hopefully they fit well. I looked into finding a replacement gasket for the lid before since the OEM ones seem to get stretched out and don't fit very well after a couple of uses. I was only able to find any in bulk so thanks for the link. Somebody who sells Speidels and accessories should consider selling a replacement gasket. I dunno maybe @Jaybird ??
http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Accessory-Gasket-Silicone.html

These are for the parts. If you are talking about the LID gasket I do carry them. But they are the stock one from Speidel. If you think I should come up with a better one, I am open to that. Let me look into the sizes and the cost. I have an idea I will shoot you a PM in a bit.

I am traveling for the next 2 weeks so internet access is limited.

Cheers
Jay

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Accessory-Gasket-Silicone.html

These are for the parts. If you are talking about the LID gasket I do carry them. But they are the stock one from Speidel. If you think I should come up with a better one, I am open to that. Let me look into the sizes and the cost. I have an idea I will shoot you a PM in a bit.

I am traveling for the next 2 weeks so internet access is limited.

Cheers
Jay

Yes I am talking about the lid gaskets, the stock ones seem to be affected by StarSan. Most of mine are so loose I can barely make them work. I ordered the ones bleak linked above. I will report back on the fit, it would be great if you could carry a better and maybe cheaper gasket. I have been surprised that I have not found more people having problems with the stock gaskets. I have had trouble with mine since about the third uses or less. I researched it before but this is the first I have seen it come up.

Yes I am talking about the lid gaskets, the stock ones seem to be affected by StarSan. Most of mine are so loose I can barely make them work. I ordered the ones bleak linked above. I will report back on the fit, it would be great if you could carry a better and maybe cheaper gasket. I have been surprised that I have not found more people having problems with the stock gaskets. I have had trouble with mine since about the third uses or less. I researched it before but this is the first I have seen it come up.
Yes!! Same thing has happened to mine. I have the 30l/7.9gal fermenter. So I'd be interested in a replacement gasket as well.

How did the gaskets work out for you?

Well I can't believe that a year has gone buy. What a year it's been. We have created a BOATLOAD more products for the speidel and we make more all the time. If you all are still using them toss up some picts and a review or 2. Would love to hear about your experiences. Thank you guys for all the support and all the orders. We are still doing a bunch of 1 off custom stuff for you Speidel users as well. Don't hesitate to toss me a PM if you have a add on part you want built that we haven't come up with yet.

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back