All grain tiers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunko

Reaction score
I see people doing all grain in their kitchens with coolers and out in the garage or outside with single and three tier setups. What is the difference between these? I am looking at going all grain but have not figured out this last piece of the puzzle. Is the top pot sparge water? The middle pot mash? And the bottom the boil pot? Thanks for any help!

Single tier systems frequently have a pump with a bunch of valves and tubing. Three tier setups are gravity feed and much simpler to build.

david_42 said:
Single tier systems frequently have a pump with a bunch of valves and tubing. Three tier setups are gravity feed and much simpler to build.

and gravity is free!!!

If you batch sparge, you can manage with more like a two tier system, if you're willing to lift a few gallons at a couple points during the process.

I use two coolers, one as the mash/lauter tun and the other as a holding vessel for sparge water. Both go on sawhorses above the brew kettle.

I heat all the sparge water (usually around 6-7 gal)...half goes into the MLT via the bucket, the other half into the holding cooler.

After draining the tun into the kettle, I put it on the ground and drain the second batch of sparge water into it. Then I lift the MLT cooler onto the sawhorses. Usually I can get my son or SWMBO to help lift it: it's 10-12 lbs of grain plus 3.5 gal or so water, lifting it up maybe 3 feet: not that big of a deal.

I know a true three-tier system would be easier, but I have very little storage space in my garage and this is very quick and easy to set up w/ two folding sawhorses (plus no expense--my entire system, except for the keggle, was just adaptation of stuff I already had.

Back