All Grain Smash help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garvinator70

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Need help with recipe all grain smash
6 lbs 2 row
2 oz Simcoe hops
How much water for first mash in with 80 quart cooler toilet braid
I can figure temps
How much water and what temp for second mash ?

Depends upon your batch size. A pretty common ratio is 1.5 qt/lb.

What is the second mash you ask about? Do you mean sparge? That would depend upon batch size.

Depends upon your batch size. A pretty common ratio is 1.5 qt/lb.

What is the second mash you ask about? Do you mean sparge? That would depend upon batch size.
I’m not great with lingo -153 degrees
For my first 60 min rest
Then I think you up temp for 10-15 min. And drain that

I’m not great with lingo -153 degrees
For my first 60 min rest
Then I think you up temp for 10-15 min. And drain that

You can skip this step. Plan on a batch sparge. At the end of the mash (60 minutes) drain the wort from the mash tun. (Wort is the liquid that you collect from the mash. It will be sweet as the starches of the grain will have converted to sugar in the mash). Measure how much you have collected. Compare this to how much you should have (the 4.5 gallons) and add this much water to the mash tun. Stir it well, then drain it. That is the sparge step and it will collect more of the sugars that otherwise would have stayed in the mash. If you want to collect more of the sugar, split the amount of water to be added and do two sparges.

Now for the rest of it. Your batch size is probably what you expect to end up with to be bottled. You need to add some to that to account for the trub (yeast and proteins that you will leave behind in the fermenter) and I would expect that to be about 1/2 gallon. That means you need 5 gallons in the fermenter. Your wort will need to be boiled and that causes loss of water too. In an hour boil you probably will lose nearly 1 gallon. Now you need about 6 gallons in the boil. Instead of planning to only add enough water to get to the 4.5 gallons you need to plan to get 6. It won't hurt if you get a little more or a little less on this batch. Only by making a batch will you know just how much you boil off.

Last edited:
You can skip this step. Plan on a batch sparge. At the end of the mash (60 minutes) drain the wort from the mash tun. (Wort is the liquid that you collect from the mash. It will be sweet as the starches of the grain will have converted to sugar in the mash). Measure how much you have collected. Compare this to how much you should have (the 4.5 gallons) and add this much water to the mash tun. Stir it well, then drain it. That is the sparge step and it will collect more of the sugars that otherwise would have stayed in the mash. If you want to collect more of the sugar, split the amount of water to be added and do two sparges.

Now for the rest of it. Your batch size is probably what you expect to end up with to be bottled. You need to add some to that to account for the trub (yeast and proteins that you will leave behind in the fermenter) and I would expect that to be about 1/2 gallon. That means you need 5 gallons in the fermenter. Your wort will need to be boiled and that causes loss of water too. In an hour boil you probably will lose nearly 1 gallon. Now you need about 6 gallons in the boil. Instead of planning to only add enough water to get to the 4.5 gallons you need to plan to get 6. It won't hurt if you get a little more or a little less on this batch. Only by making a batch will you know just how much you boil off.
ThNks what temp for sparge after first 60 min rest?

I sparge with water straight from my tap (well water, no chlorine). There isn't any need for hot water except to get to boil faster and since you are adding the water to the hot, wet grains they heat it quite a bit.
I have well water but it’s hard water feels like you don’t rinse off is that water ok or do I need to add salt

I have well water but it’s hard water feels like you don’t rinse off is that water ok or do I need to add salt
Without a water test you won't know if you should add salts. If the water tastes good to drink, I would use it for sparging. If it has an off taste or smell, then get the test or buy spring water or RO water and make the adjustments with the salts.

Without a water test you won't know if you should add salts. If the water tastes good to drink, I would use it for sparging. If it has an off taste or smell, then get the test or buy spring water or RO water and make the adjustments with the salts.
Thank you so much ,no off smells ,real cold taste good!

BBE4C791-F44F-4BBE-8EFD-847262DA0AEF.jpeg

i believe it was 2 row malt american

There are a couple big maltsters in North America, but Briess is one of the most common. Around the end of 2019 I made 4 Single Grain batches (using a couple hops...Briess was one of them). I recently made a SMaSH with Rahr "Standard 2-Row" bittered with Warrior. I want to brew some similar SMaSH beers with some local craft maltsters malts.

The differences between big American maltsters' base grains are subtle, but there are differences. Side by side tasting of SMaSH beers are a great way to learn more about the differences.

Back