All grain info help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody, hope everything is great for everyone.

Iv been brewing for a while with extract now and i really want to move on to all grain brewing. I want to make small batches so i can experiment and because of cost.

I have a 5 gallon boil kettle and was wondering if i could make small all grain batches to fit the kettle. i went to a local home-brew store and they said if all i had was a 5 gallon kettle then there was no way in hell it was happening for me.

But it left me thinking there HAS to be a way to make experimental batches that are more cost efficient then a 5 gallon batch.

Im not worried about time because time is no issue as far as the labor that goes into making the brew for a small batch for the amount of money ill be saving.

Anything helps!

Thanks, hope everyone was a great day!

Look at the BIAB sub forum in the All Grain forum.
As far as the LHBS misinformation, they are way wrong!!

This hobby is the mother of DIY and inventions.

Hey everybody, hope everything is great for everyone.

Iv been brewing for a while with extract now and i really want to move on to all grain brewing. I want to make small batches so i can experiment and because of cost.

I have a 5 gallon boil kettle and was wondering if i could make small all grain batches to fit the kettle. i went to a local home-brew store and they said if all i had was a 5 gallon kettle then there was no way in hell it was happening for me.

But it left me thinking there HAS to be a way to make experimental batches that are more cost efficient then a 5 gallon batch.

Im not worried about time because time is no issue as far as the labor that goes into making the brew for a small batch for the amount of money ill be saving.

Anything helps!

Thanks, hope everyone was a great day!

I have the exact same setup. I do 3 gal BIAB in my 5 gallon kettle with no problems. I do sparge in a separate kettle

yeah, definitely look into BIAB, I think you could do 3-gallon batches in your pot. Mash thick (don't use a ton of water in your mash so something like 1.25 quarts per pound of grain) and stick to relatively low-to-moderate gravity recipes. Brew more often and drink more variety, I tend to do mostly 3 gallon batches.

Thanks for all the replies you guys i really appreciate it.

Ill be going to all grain!

Next time ill come to you guys first! you all are awesome!

THANKS AGAIN!

If you know that you will never brew larger than 3 gallons or so, you can, also, build your own 5 gallon cooler mash tun. With that you can brew virtually any beer scaled to 3 gallons or even a high gravity partial mash IIPA or RIS.

Latest posts

Back