All grain first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends on what you want to brew. my standard recipe for my house ipa is 18 lbs 2-row, 2 lbs vienna, 2 lbs munich, and 2 lbs crystal 60. that's for 10 gallons. cut that in 1/2 for your question

Sounds about right. I do 15 gal batches and if you're seeking an ABV% close to 6% then I use around 25#2-row and about 5# specialty. That us assuming a brew house efficiency of close to 70%. Hop generously throughout and enjoy the process of course. If you're trying for a double IPA or something heartier, simply up the grain bill or add DME to the boil if your capacity for more grain isn't there. Cheers!

I'm always trying new grain bills for my IPAs, but my favorite so far has been 9.5# 2-row, 1# Vienna, and 0.5# Crystal 60. That's with ~80% mash efficiency though and only ~5.7% abv. So a very generalized answer to your question would probably be anywhere between 9-15#, plus your specialty grain, but depending on your efficiency to hit the OG you're after.

Back