All Grain and my tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surtur

Reaction score
can anyone help me i am wondering if my tap water is acceptable for all grain brewing.

this is part of the annual report from my city's water
raw water is treated with disinfectant (sodium hypochlorite) and fluoridated
calcium 35.3 ppm
Magnesium 9.49 ppm
Sodium 4.034 ppm
Sulphate 7.4 ppm
Chloride 5.64 ppm
Bicarbonate 143 ppm

Fluoride 0.04ppm
ph 7.69

now i only added the few things listed as per beersmith to compare with other water sources.

now i added my fluoride amount also because i am unsure how this effect the brew flavor.

is this water going to be ok if i just treat with Campden tablets/sodium metabisulphite powder?

Your bicarbonate is high, great for a dark beer. I don't see where there is anything else to worry about. If nothing else, I would add salts appropriate to style. If you want to brew something lighter, I would mix in distilled water.

Download one of the water spreadsheets (I use EZ water calculator) and enter in your water and grains you will be using. That will tell you what your approximate mash pH will be and whether or not you need to do any acid additions.

You're probably going to want to add some calcium chloride and maybe some gypsum though depending on the beer style you will be making.

Go do some reading in the brew science forum.

Back