All Brett RIS Attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of doing an all-brett RIS with Brett-B Trois and Brett-C. I've done a number of soured farmhouse ales, etc. but have never done an all-brett fermentation.

It's my understanding that brett doesn't attenuate quite as much by itself. So my question is what sort of attenuation should I expect (shooting for an OG around 1.100)?

Thanks

I've been kicking around the idea of doing an all-brett RIS with Brett-B Trois and Brett-C. I've done a number of soured farmhouse ales, etc. but have never done an all-brett fermentation.

It's my understanding that brett doesn't attenuate quite as much by itself. So my question is what sort of attenuation should I expect (shooting for an OG around 1.100)?

Thanks

With proper pitching (lager pitching rates) and the right fermentation temps, an all-Brett beer should give you similar attenuation to a sacch strain.

No need to pitch Brett at lager pitching rates - you should treat it like sacch when using it in primary fermentation. It will easily attenuate better than sacch.

No need to pitch Brett at lager pitching rates - you should treat it like sacch when using it in primary fermentation. It will easily attenuate better than sacch.

No, you need lager pitching rates on ALL BRETT beers. And yes, it does act like a sach strain as far as attenuation percentage. I have a barrel aged RIS that was fermented clean and put in with Brett/Lacto/Pedio. SG was 1.120 and it finished at 1.018 I can't imagine you'll get much past 1.030 with all brett.

Where did you draw this conclusion from? Every Brett primary beer I have done has reached 1.001-1.006. I can't imagine you only get to 1.030!

No, you need lager pitching rates on ALL BRETT beers. And yes, it does act like a sach strain as far as attenuation percentage.

Have several times pitched brett straight from a wyeast to four gallons. All the beers have turned out good, so I don't believe you need to pitch at lager rates. Do agree with the attenuation, however.

I'm in the camp of pitching high and it not attenuating too well. I've made several all-brett beers, and generally I get worse attenuation than sacc yeasts. I've added sacc to help finish a couple of them off.

I have only used WLP650 (Brett-B) and really like it, but I get anything from 67% to 80% attenuation. I haven't figured out what causes the big variation.

Vaughn said:
Where did you draw this conclusion from? Every Brett primary beer I have done has reached 1.001-1.006. I can't imagine you only get to 1.030!

I lost all my old emails but that info came from Chad Yakobsen of crooked stave who did his masters dissertation on brettanomyces. It's pretty common knowledge these days.

Brett super attenuates when lacto/pedio come into play but not on all Brett beers. Store bought Brett cultures contain a less viable cell count than sacch packs so a starter is a must no matter the gravity.

Brett super attenuates when lacto/pedio come into play but not on all Brett beers. Store bought Brett cultures contain a less viable cell count than sacch packs so a starter is a must no matter the gravity.

This, Wyeast has said there smack packs of brett arent made for pitching and you need a big starter or step starter.

Vaughn said:
Chad also believes you should treat Brett like Sacch. Just saying...

What's your point? Just trying to argue? You know that lager yeast is SACCH right? Chad has stated in the past that lager rates are need for a successful all Brett ferment. Under pitch results in under attenuation a lot of the time.

Back