Ale Yeast Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nike_Eayrs

Reaction score
I do not have the ability to lager, and was going to attempt to impart some "lager qualities" to a cream ale. My plan is to put the fermentor in a plastic bin and rotate out frozen 2 liter bottles to keep the temp down. I brew with San Diego Super Strain, and am curious how cool I can ferment without putting them to sleep. Thanks in advance for all the help. Cheers!

From the White Labs site:
Optimum Ferment Temp.
65-68F

So I wouldn't go too much lower than 65 degrees. Maybe 60 - 62 though I doubt you can control it that precisely with ice bottles.

I think the California common yeast has lager like characteristics. Or maybe a kolsch yeast?

WLP060 : American Ale Yeast blend

Definitely lager qualities... if that can be a good thing. I don't think I'm going to use it anymore for this reason but since that's what you're looking for.... :p

I just hope the dryhop is gonna salvage that "lagerry" APA... ;-) was worth the try...

I made a "lager" using WY2112 California Lager yeast but fermented at about 64. It came out great. It was a modification of Northern Brewer's Marblehead Lager.

About 64*F is the low end from what I keep hearing.

IMO, unless you can very precisely control your ferment temps (like with a fridge/freezer that has a temp controller added), it's best to use something other than San Diego Super.

Those who report good results with it hold the temp right there in the sweet spot of 65-68*F.

Can you keep it in the mid-upper 50's for 4-5 days? If so, Nottingham is pretty lager-like when used cold. I've had it work fine down to 55*F.

From the White Labs site:
Optimum Ferment Temp.
65-68F

So I wouldn't go too much lower than 65 degrees. Maybe 60 - 62 though I doubt you can control it that precisely with ice bottles.

I did not have good luck with San Diego super yeast around 62.

Just brewed and pitched with Nottingham. I've never used this stuff, and I'm super curious to see how it turns out. Thanks for the help!

Kolcsh if you want to go clean. These were designed in the lager tradition but to suit the slightly warmer temperatures of Colonge. Kolsch yeast will trough less esters and frutiness at a higher given temp that regular ale yeasts. You can also lager them to increase lager like qualities.

Just brewed and pitched with Nottingham. I've never used this stuff, and I'm super curious to see how it turns out. Thanks for the help!

Keep it cool (57-59*F) for the first 4-5 days before letting it creep up to 66*F and you'll be in good shape.

Back