Ale yeast for a bock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
A friend that moved gave me a Brewers Best kit to make a bock. I don't have the ability to lager, so what would be a good ale yeast. I was thinking maybe Wyeast 2565 kolsch? Any other thoughts?

I haven't done it myself, but I would imagine that would be a great yeast to use. Extremely neutral yeast, and Kolsch's aren't hoppy, so I'm sure that yeast doesn't do anything bad to the malt character you want in a bock

That should be a good one. The other strain that comes to mind would be 1007 German Ale. Some people have used that one to do a pseudo Oktoberfest with good results.

It could be ok, but to achieve good results, those yeasts require lagering. As kölsch and altbier styles are lagered, even with ale yeast.
And even if you ferment it at 12 Celsius, 2565 gives a gentle fruitness. I like a hint of fruitness in a bock, but be prepared to a beer that will not be pure malt.

Another possible solution would be to use the White Labs 029 German Ale/Kolsch. It's a nice, clean fermenting yeast that I've used quite a bit in my brewing to produce about the closest I'll ever get to a lager at ale fermenting temperatures.

That should be a good one. The other strain that comes to mind would be 1007 German Ale. Some people have used that one to do a pseudo Oktoberfest with good results.

I've brewed Oktofests, Helles, and German Pilsners with this yeast. Heck, I even did a 9% Baltic Porter with it! Fantastic yeast. Just make sure to pitch enough cells and ferment in the 58F-62F range for a clean character.

It makes good Pale Ales and IPAs too, if that suits your fancy.

Latest posts

Back