Ale with honey flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyalius

Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to make 20L ale with honey taste/flavor.

How should I do it?
When should I add the honey?

Thank you

I would add honey after 3-4 days of primary fermentation. This should preserve some of the aroma that would otherwise scrubbed off during the bulk of primary fermentation. Definitely don't add in the boil

What I do is add about 2 lbs or so of honey at flame out and use 1/2 lb of honey malts. I've also added the honey to the fermentor after a week of fermentation, but I prefer flame out so as to get an easier, more accurate OG reading. Mine tastes quite similar to Blue Moon's honey wheat.

Ditto on the honey malt, it gives more honey flavor than actual honey.

I don't think you can match some nice orange Blossom honey characteristics with honey malt. Clover maybe.

Also depending on the direction you want to go. Honey malt will make your beer sweeter, and honey will actually help dry it out.

I don't think you can match some nice orange Blossom honey characteristics with honey malt. Clover maybe.

Also depending on the direction you want to go. Honey malt will make your beer sweeter, and honey will actually help dry it out.

^This

Use actual honey with good aroma. After 7-8 days, rack off the primary yeast cake and add the honey to the secondary chamber at 72F. Using more honey to bottle prime is an option, too.

Heat destroys that delicate, floral aroma that is not prevalent in honey malt. Honey malt is actually more nutty than it is reminiscent of floral honey.

Back