Ale ideas for Munich LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAMMEE

Reaction score
I have a 6 lb container of Munich LME from Midwest that I want to use with an ale yeast. I've had a number of ideas which included turning it into a Marzen style beer using a very clean yeast but then also wondered if I could use it to give a lot of malty backing to a Pepper beer. I was thinking of using roasted or smoked jalapeños / chipotles. If I did the chipotle, I'd add a pound of Breiss' cherrywood Smoked Malt to the steep for added smokiness. I have Palisade and Willamette hops on hand. I can get some others though if needed. Any suggestions for this?

I think I'm going to try the chipotle ale. If it's a little too far out at least I'll enjoy it as something different.

I'm actually looking to do something similar with Northern Brewer's Munich LME. A brewpub in my area used to brew a beer called "Munich Dark Ale." It was basically a Munich Dunkel fermented with ale yeast. They would periodically brew it as a lager, and I always felt the ale version tasted better.

I'm thinking of brewing a partial mash version of that beer. 2-3 pounds of Munich malt with some Carafa II thrown in, a can of Munich LME, 1-2 oz of hallertau hops, and a clean English ale yeast like Nottingham or S-04.

Back