Ale fermentation complete, why is it bubbling again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForerunnerBrewer

Reaction score
Yesterday, 3 weeks after pitch, I put my 6 gal carboy with IPA in the kegerator. I have the temperature set at 48˚ and now the airlock is bubbling like it does 36 hours after pitching yeast.

I intended to turn the temp down to cold crash after I had a couple beers this weekend.

What's happening? Will this further attenuate and make this taste a little like a lager?

FYI: The yeast is 3rd gen California Ale V with 73% attenuation

Thanks everyone!

Anytime you move your beer, it will usually off gas. Changes in temperature will also cause this. When you crash cool you should really take the airlock off and replace it with some sanitized aluminum foil. The change in temperature will cause a change in pressure and usually cause your airlock fluid to be sucked into the fermenter. This is one of the reasons we say don't that yor shouldn't pay attention to the bubbles; they are meaningless. If your hydrometer readings are consistant...it's done. Especially after three weeks. No worries.

Latest posts

Back