Airlocks and Brett/Sour Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmhbutler

Reaction score
A couple years back I got into wild brewing. I now have 6 carboys around with beers again on Brett. and bacteria - some as old as 18 months.

Maintaining airlock levels can be a pain in the ass!

My question is, at what point would it be advised to throw an un-drilled bung on and forget the carboy? ... or perhaps the occasional dry airlock and minor oxygen exposure is beneficial?

Looking forward to some insight,

Josh

Just out of curiosity what part of maintence of the air lock do you not like. If it is evaporation i like to use good vodka in mine and it is good for a good 12 months or so.

Just out of curiosity what part of maintence of the air lock do you not like. If it is evaporation i like to use good vodka in mine and it is good for a good 12 months or so.

Really? I'm using star-san in my 3-piece airlock and have to top them up every couple weeks.

Go to the s-type airlocks, as they take much longer to dry out than the three piece airlocks. And it only takes a small amount of liquid to keep them sealed, whereas the three piece takes a good amount.

Or just go to a silicon waterless airlock and call it good.

Go to the s-type airlocks, as they take much longer to dry out than the three piece airlocks. And it only takes a small amount of liquid to keep them sealed, whereas the three piece takes a good amount.

Or just go to a silicon waterless airlock and call it good.

This.

I check on my carboys once a month, so if the water level in the airlock is slightly low, I'll top it off. Then again my carboys are in the same closet as my finished beer (well... four of them are, two others in another closet which angers my wife), so I go in there quite often.

Really? I'm using star-san in my 3-piece airlock and have to top them up every couple weeks.

I use vodka and 3 piece airlocks, and I also have to top up every 3-6 weeks. I've been thinking about going the one-way silicone locks.

3 piece airlocks will experience suckback during temperature fluctuations (like when you cold crash). I use the S-type on all my sours and barely think about them anymore because they stay full enough for a year+

Latest posts

Back