Airlock, working correctly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keg

Reaction score
So I just took the blowout/off tube off my bottle and placed the airlock on.

I filled the airlock with water to the fill line prior to replacing the tube. Now that it is in place the water level has dropped about a quarter inch and the bubbles I'm supposed to be seeing aren't what I really imagined; I just want to make sure I did it right. Pretty much the inner tube has a ring of air form around it - lift it briefly and drops. Is this what I'm supposed to be seeing?

You took your blowoff off, that means evidently that the most vigourous part of fermentation is over, and therefore less co2 is being generated, and therefore the airlock doesn't NEED to bubble. It's not a magic fermentation gauge, it's a valve, a vent to bleed off EXCESS co2, and to keep your beer in your femrenter, not on your ceiling...so if it bubbles, or not is really irrelevent.

You're fine. :mug:

As a general rule I don't remove a blow-off tube due to oxygenation or the chance of contaminating the brew. You want to maintain that buffer of carbon dioxide. However, if you left the tube on through the violent part of the fermentation and are now down to a few bubbles every couple of minutes then what you are explaining should be fine.

The reason the water level dropped is due to the escaping carbon dioxide pushing the plastic "cover" up, and out of the sanitizer/water, as there is always some pressure on it. The cover touches the water and forms a seal that will not let any contaminants in, but at this point there is probably very little carbon dioxide being produced which is the reason for the lackluster bubbling. Sounds like everything is working fine to me.

And, while I'm at it - do the hops come down themselves? Or should I shake this?

To my understanding I had a rather extreme ferment having accidently added my bottling sugar when the instructions called for "specialty sugars." I also understand I have too much water, lol. Yes, a crazy newbie batch.

199587_1763717247647_1080577457_31872458_6052530_n.jpg

I should explain a little more...

After the bulk of fermentation is over, you don't want to add oxygen to your beer or you risk oxidation that can develop off flavors.

With the big fermentation you had, that hop sludge is gonna be stuck on there pretty good, so it'll take quite a bit of shaking to get it off the better bottle.

So, you're best bet is to just leave it alone at this point.

:mug:

Back