Airlock started bubbling in about 8 hours, is that normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachandlutz

Reaction score
I brewed lastnight. Honestly, I'm unsure of how this will turn out. But I'm seeing quite a bit of bubbling in my airlock about 8 hours later or so. Is that normal?

That sounds about right. I brewed on Saturday and didn't see bubbles for about 7 hours. Hopefully you have enough headspace to prevent your airlock from clogging up. I learned to use the blow-off tube for the first 3 days, then put in the airlock. Good luck!

That's about average overnight lag time till initial fermentation starts. I brewed a Mumme' PM yesterday I gotta finish up getting in the FV today. Got too darn late for the old fart last night.

I brewed lastnight. Honestly, I'm unsure of how this will turn out. But I'm seeing quite a bit of bubbling in my airlock about 8 hours later or so. Is that normal?
The yeast doesn't just lie there during the first five to ten hours. It prepares itself, so to speak. According to White's yeast book, this is not only normal; it is in fact desired.

I always figured it was desirable to shorten lag time as much as possible. This is the time they think off-flavors actually start. I have had my ESB come out clean & crisp when lag (reproduction) time was only 3 hours. Then the batch was done & settling out clear in 10 days flat, after pitching rehydrated S-04 @ within 10 degrees of wort temp.

There is no set hours that is correct. Yeast don't own watches! The bubbling may start quickly or it might not. If all conditions are right it will be quick if not it will take longer.

I have always made starters with liquid yeast, pitched at the proper temperature and controlled the fermentation temperature. I almost always have rehydrated my dry yeast. Still I have had some that started bubbling within a few hours and others that took a day or so. As long as it starts I don't get too worried about when.

BTW, your airlock may never bubble and still have a proper fermentation. This is usually because the co2 is finding another way out of the fermenter. Usually a leaky lid. This doesn't mean that the beer will be bad either, just that the co2 leaked out.

I always figured it was desirable to shorten lag time as much as possible.
I thought so until recently, and had begun to start the fermentation almost instantly (as in less than half an hour) using still-active yeast staters. However, White's yeast book actually cautions against this, stating that important things happen to the yeast during the lag phase.

I've had batches start noticeably fermenting at just a couple hours after pitching and others take more than 24 - all turned into beer, most turned into good beer. I just had a pale ale that didn't seem to have any airlock activity at all and ended up being one of the best beers I have ever made. Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.

I'm constantly amazed by what can be considered normal in the world of beermaking.

That said, I find long lag times and slow fermentations stress me out and I'd rather see the yeast get into their work with youthful exuberance.

Sounds like you are off to a good start on this adventure. Keep that fermentation temperature as stable as you can - don't let it ride too high - and your beer should come out pretty decent.

Back