Airlock possibly fell into my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pgereffi

Reaction score
Ok so I was brewing tonight and my airlock suddenly disappeared thankfully I found a spare. But with this airlock missing in action I suspect it snuck it's way into the fermentor through the star san bubbles. What could happen if it was stuck in there during fermentation? I didn't try and fish it out because I pitched the yeast already. Also, I missed starting gravity by 7 points is this a big deal? I finished at 1054 aiming for 1061.

If you sanitized the airlock, it wont hurt a thing, just let it be. You'd do more harm trying to get it out.

Did you do extract or AG? If extract, and you used the proper amount of water and extract then you hit you OG. False readings happen all the time using extract due to mixing issues when adding top off water. Really no need to even take an OG reading using extract, just calculate it or go by what the kit says if you are using one.

Your OG is fine. You'll probably end up with a little less abv and maybe not as malty as you want it to taste but it shouldn't be affected that much.

Once I found a complete three piece airlock in the bottom of my fermenter after fermentation. It was buried in the trub. To this day, I have no idea how it got there. :D

I also found a screwdriver in another batch a few years later. I suspect I dropped it in there, trying to open the lid, but I don't recall for sure.

Both batches turned out great, by the way.

Agreed on leaving the airlock in there if that is where it is.

If you did an extract kit with top up, used all the ingredients and achieved the proper volume, the OG that was expected is more than likely what you have.

It is often very difficult to get the top up water to mix thoroughly so your sample would too watery when the sample is drawn off the lighter mix on the top.

Once I found a complete three piece airlock in the bottom of my fermenter after fermentation. It was buried in the trub. To this day, I have no idea how it got there. :D

I also found a screwdriver in another batch a few years later. I suspect I dropped it in there, trying to open the lid, but I don't recall for sure.

Both batches turned out great, by the way.

None of these are the worst things people have found in their fermenters. ;)

I missed starting gravity by 7 points

With the assumption you did an extract brew: I remember doing some extract kits a few years back before I shifted to AG. Missing my OG by 7 points (or in that general area) seemed more common than actually hitting the numbers the kit suggested. You could always add a touch more DME to bring the SG up, or add water to bring it down if need be.

If you did an AG batch, strike all the above and boil a bit longer to concentrate your wort and bring up your OG. OR, I have added a bit of DME into my AG wort to adjust if needed.

But in the real scheme of things.....its really not going to make much difference in the way you'll enjoy your beer anyway.

It was AG porter actually.

Best thing you can do to prevent missing OG's is to buy a refractometer. That way you can readings on the fly during the boil and not have to mess with adjusting for the temp of the wort when taking hydrometer readings.

None of these are the worst things people have found in their fermenters. ;)

My grandfather used to make homebrew in a 50 gallon fish barrel that was left behind a wood stove. It would freeze over during the night and be nearly 80f or more during the day when the stove was lit. They often would just drink by dipping mugs into the barrel and my grandmother would find the lid left off many mornings.

She found rat/mouse carcasses In the trub a few times.

I feel like I need to post this story in its own thread for more people to see cause it just blows my mind

They often would just drink by dipping mugs into the barrel and my grandmother would find the lid left off many mornings.

She found rat/mouse carcasses In the trub a few times.

That sounds delicious! :tank:

I brew in the garage, then carry the buckets in the house. I pop the side of the lid to add the yeast then either into my pantry in winter or the fermenting fridge in summer. I opened one to stir in priming sugar and there was a spider floating... he must have crawled onto the bottom of a lid as it was sitting half on the bucket as I filled it. When I lifted the lid and sealed it he fell in. Beer came out fine...

Back