airlock missile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
Okay not even 24 hours for my 'Orfy's Hobgoblin Clone' and the airlock on my primary bucket went about 12" in the air and foam all over....

Why would it do this? wouldnt the pressure be enough to clear the line rather than blow the whole thing?
How does a blowoff tube make it better, wouldn't that get clogged as wel and still blow the bung out?

cheers,

Most of the airlocks have a little triangle of plastic in the tube that catches particles of gunk coming up, and clogs it.

My bottling hose will fit down into my airlock for not very serious blows, and for really violent ones, I have some 1" hose that will boil a quart of sanitizer if it really rocks and rolls.

Why would it do this? Really active fermentation, really happy yeast, and no place for the CO2 to go.

it must be a full moon or something... cause we've had at least 4 'blow-up' post in the last day....

Post pictures of you're explosions ....

here are a few pics, it is not too bad... I have seen much worse on here.

I put the airlock back in as it was lying on top of the bucket still, and I consider it still sanitary...

the ring of splatter on the wall curiously hit at one level, and all they way around the room....

Yes it is sitting on a toilet. Yes it is sanitary... this room is totally clean and I do not use it for a bathroom at all. :) ( we have 3 other bathroms in my house.)

DSCN6279.jpg

DSCN6278.jpg

DSCN6277.jpg

I pulled my racking cane off my hose, took apart the airlock, sanitized all with starsan,
then put a 2 litre jar on the floor with 500ml of the starsan solution in it... plugged the hose into the rubber bung and voila,
all better now.

boiling hard in that jar btw... yeasties are very happy

I run a 1 1/4" vinyl hose for a blow off tube - no sense in fooling around with skinny tubing...

I run a 1 1/4" vinyl hose for a blow off tube - no sense in fooling around with skinny tubing...

And how do you think he is going to run an 1 1/4" hose for his blow off tube in that bucket?

edit: Nevermind...didn't see the stopper in the bucket.

Yes it is sitting on a toilet. Yes it is sanitary... this room is totally clean and I do not use it for a bathroom at all. :) ( we have 3 other bathroms in my house.)

I remember reading somewhere that a toilet seat is actually more sanitary than a kitchen counter. So no judging from here.

After a brewing get together, we cleaned everything up and load up my jeep, then went inside to imbibe some yummy goodness. about 2 hours later, I went out to get something to find that the carboy blew it's top. I had stuff everywhere! In the fabric headliner, over clothes that I had with me, all over the windows... I ended up setting up a blowoff tube and going back inside to RDWHAHB, then going to Home Depot in the morning, so you don't have it too bad :p

Back