Quantcast

airlock keeps popping off

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

AZWyatt

Reaction score
I recently switched to my glass carboys as a unitank in order to avoid contamination during transfer (I've had a lot of suspect batches). So now I'm noticing that, after sanitizing the carboy with StarSan, the hole is rather slippery and any internal pressure, be it from the foam of the freshly-poured wort or the pressure from yeast activity, pushes the dang carboy cap and airlock out! I'm sure many have experienced this problem and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to prevent this from happening.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use a clean paper towel to dry off both the carboy and the bung, or else I wait until the carboy is about dry. A wet stopper in a wet carboy will never stay put!

OP
A

AZWyatt

Reaction score
c.n.budz said:
+1

Those are exactly what I use, never had any problems with them popping out
Those are exactly what I use too, and I still have problems with them popping out.

sittingturbo

Reaction score
I want to by one of those special bungs everyone listed. But I have had the same problem, you need to have both the bung and carboy dry... However, I have found if I muscle the C*&P out of the bung and jam it as far as I can, it will stay with a little fussing.

Good luck.

brewhead

Reaction score
spritz them with some everclear or other grain alcohol

Moonshae

Reaction score
sittingturbo said:
I have found if I muscle the C*&P out of the bung and jam it as far as I can, it will stay with a little fussing.
Then have fun getting it out when the time comes, without pushing it into your beer... :p

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I just wipe everything dry, if I really want it to stay wipe with vodka.

If thats too much hassle get one of these, they work wet or dry.