Airlock Dislodged-Is the beer bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsffbabw

Reaction score
On my 3rd batch of beer, first two were surprisingly tasty (American Light, Pale Ale). Doing a Cherry Wheat now. Unfortunately, I went to retrieve the beer to move it over into my carboy for secondary, and I found that the airlock was not all the way in. Once I opened the lid I found a nice layer what looked like thick gooey foam. I stirred the beer and the goo went away. Living my the motto, never give up a beer, I decided to go ahead and move it over to the carboy and wait and see. This was on Wednesday. This morning I went down to take a look and my carboy stopper had been blown off, and again, the goo was back. I decided to insert the carboy stopper with the airlock and hope this this doesn't occur again. Long story short...Does this batch need to be scrapped, or should I stick it out and wait to see what happens?

And- by the way- NEVER stir the goo. Keep the lid on, and try to keep the airlock on, and leave it alone. The only harm that may come to it so far is from stirring the krausen back into the beer. Either from infection, or aeration. Walk away for at least a week- and replace the airlock if it comes off (or use a blow off tube).

I will also test your beer for you :)

I don't have as much experience brewing as the next guy but I would say wait it out just like others have said :)

Back