Airlock bubbling after only 10 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
Is there anything significant about this? Seems really early from everything I have read.

No. Activity can start at pretty much any time. Some yeasts are a little more aggressive than others.

You only need to worry if there is no activity within 72 hrs or so.

Also may want to look into a blowoff tube instead if you think it may be fast and furious!

No that is a good sign. If you make a starter, you could possibly see activity within a few hours.

What is the ambient air temp where the beer is sitting? If its too high it could cause a faster less desirable fermentation depending on the yeast strain that was used.

My last batch I saw activity within two hours... no starter either, just a dry yeast pitch.

My caribou slobber took off like a rocket in 2 hours last week, needed a blow off by 4. And that was just with rehydrated dry yeast. So nope, nothing to worry about.

while some folks consider it reassuring to see such quick activity, the "lag" time is actually a very productive time for the yeast, it's their time to absorb 02 and get geared up for the exponential growth phase. while such quick activity can mean that you did a good job with pitching rates and numbers, you have to be very confident in your methods. a pitching rate that is optimal and using pure 02 (unless you feel like rocking a carboy for 20 min) to aerate are circumstances that would make such quick activity a real party.

this is all being said from the standpoint of what is absolutely optimal. i wouldn't really sweat any of the above unless you find that the finished product is faulty is some way, that's when the diagnosis begins.

Back