Airlock Broke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyb15fd

Reaction score
This is my first time making beer, I wanted to keep everything sterilized so I bolied the airlock and it got deformed and broke. I couldnt use it so i used the spicket and just cracked it some to let the fumes out. Was that ok to do..? What else can I use until I get to the store and buy a new airlock..?
Anthony

put a vinyl hose in the airlock hole and put the other end into a bowl of sanitizer. If you are using a bucket, and cant fashion a blowoff, crack the lid. CO2 will push O2 out the top, the spigot could be a source of infection if opened/closed a lot, and you don't want to do that a couple thousand times over the next couple days.

Do you have a racking cane and tubing?

Insert the small end of the cane into the stopper, and the tubing to the long end. The tubing goes into a cup with water/starsan.

I use this all the time.

Good advice here. You should be set.

If / when you pick up another airlock (they're very cheap!) a Star San rinse is usually good enough. And you can fill it with Vodka. I keep a bottle of the cheap stuff on hand just for that purpose.
Sterile - not necessary. Sanitary - very necessary. So...WELCOME to the board and to brewing! Pick up some Star San and a spray bottle, (dilute per instructions!) and don't rinse the Star San off with water. Ever.

Back