Airlock blow out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigadam

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel ale clone. Put it in the primary yesterday, came to check it today to find the lid blown off and the airlock completely clogged. I washed out the airlock and replaced it, worried that the fermentation had ended, but as soon as I replaced the lid and the airlock, it immediately took off, bubbling more than any others I've brewed. Should I be concerned, or the fact that it is still obviously fermenting a sign that everything should be okay?

If it's still bubbling like mad, i'm sure you're fine. Even with the hole in the lid, if there was plenty of active fermentation going on then the surface of the beer was enveloped with a blanket of CO2. It's only after fermentation has slowed down and finished that you need to worry about oxidation.

Infection from an outside source should be rare at full krausen.

you could use a blow off tube instead of an airlock, i had a similar experience and haven t used an airlock during primary since, just secondary...just be sure to run the blowoff tube into a pitcher of water....cheers

Back