air lock not showing signs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster13

Reaction score
So it has been about a year since I have brewed or been on the list. I brewed 2 batches last week, midwest liberty cream and austin american ale. They both took right off fermenting but when I looked at the american ale today it looks like there is nothing happening to create pressure in the air lock. It was showing very good sign for 2-3 days after it was brewed. Should I be concerned? I double checked the lid and air lock to make sure there is a good seal and they look good. Any ideas?

Usually, the fermentation period that is most active (with krausen, possibly airlock activity) is over in 3 days, more or less. But then the krausen gradually starts to fall, the beer stops producing as much co2, and signs of activity diminished substantially.

Even so, there is still plenty going on in there! The gravity is still dropping, albeit more slowly, and the yeast are still active. Once the biggest part of fermentation is done, the yeast will keep trying to feed and will then begin to digest their own waste products. So it's important to leave it alone, and allow that process to happen over the next few days.

I've had beers ferment out quickly, even in 24 hours, at times. But that doesn't mean the beer is "done" yet!

Latest posts

Back