air lock mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfaridoni

Reaction score
Like most noobies I got impatient with no fermentation after 24 hours so I popped the lid to check and got a whiff of co2 so I resealed the lid and waited. When I resealed I guess the air from inside blew off the bobber, for lack of a better word, off of the airlock. I saw it this morning, about 12 hours later and put it back on. I had bubbling when I did this so it is fermenting. Did I let air in that could cause oxidation or will the co2 being generated create enough of a blanket so the air couldn't get into the wort.

Like most noobies I got impatient with no fermentation after 24 hours so I popped the lid to check and got a whiff of co2 so I resealed the lid and waited. When I resealed I guess the air from inside blew off the bobber, for lack of a better word, off of the airlock. I saw it this morning, about 12 hours later and put it back on. I had bubbling when I did this so it is fermenting. Did I let air in that could cause oxidation or will the co2 being generated create enough of a blanket so the air couldn't get into the wort.

You're fine. It definitely didn't cause oxidation.

The beer will be fine, plenty of CO2 being produced. Be patient

Also, don't sweat the little things, there are homebrewers who primary ferment without a lid and make great beer.

Thanks a lot for the help. Being new at this I'm a bit of a worry wort, pun intended, about everything I'm doing. I'll wait and then enjoy. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back