Air Lock Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramsbottom_Brewer

Reaction score
So I have started my first brew off and all seemed well. I'm 26 hours into primary fermentation but there are no bubbles. Having read stuff on this site I decided not too worry.

Then curiosity got the better of me. I pushed down on the lid and noticed that this forced some air out with a bubble.

I worried that the bottom of my air lock was inside the wort so I pulled it out. There was quite a hiss. I suppose this means that there was a good build up of CO2. If I leave it a while and pull it out again, another hiss.

So why is the airlock not bubbling?

Does it matter how much water is in the lock? I notice the CO2 push the water down so far then it stops.

I suppose at least I know CO2 is being produced but without the bubbling I will not know when to take a gravity reading.

Thoughts?

M

Don't listen to your airlock. It's a 99 cent piece of plastic that has no idea what it's talking about.

Give it plenty of time, then listen to your hydrometer. It's a piece of scientific test equipment, and it knows it's stuff.

Back