Air Lock Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutbum112

Reaction score
Okay...first post!

Made my first batch of Brown Ale last night....to make a long story short, I placed all contents in my glass carbon around 10:00 PM. I noticed this morning at 5 AM I failed to place the floating piece inside the "three piece" airlock. It was left in my sanitation bucket! Newbie mistake!!!! if it helps out I'm using the True Brew K6 package. So essentially my batch was exposed to air for 7 hours via the little opening in the airlock...air could escape as well as in...

Questions:
Have I ruined the batch?

What's the likelyhood of survival?

Really enjoy the forum!

Regards,

Your batch is not ruined - likelihood of survival: near 100%.
Just put it in if you haven't already.

I was in hopes this was the case...thanks for the quick reply.

And yes, the piece was but into place.

For many years beer was fermented in open containers with no airlock at all. Don't sweat your leaving part of yours off for a few hours. I'd be much more concerned about you doing the proper sanitation of your vessels and yet I'd still predict you will make good beer.

LOL! I didn't even use an airlock on my last batch. I fermented in an old soy sauce bucket I acquired. It has one of those pop-up things in the lid for pouring. I drilled a small hole in it and loosely covered it with crumpled foil. Batch turned out great.

Back