Air Lock BLEW Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaanan

Reaction score
When I got home today I found stout splatters all over the walls and ceiling of my closet. The stout I started last night generated enough pressure to blow my airlock out!

image-2347289445.jpg

It probably sat like this for hours, do you think it'll survive?

This is my fourth batch. Every one I've made so far I do something that makes me think it's ruined, but so far that hasn't happened. It is concerning that it had so much air time. Also how much force that airlock had when it popped out. My walls and ceiling are speckled with sticky brown goo!

It'll be fine! It was pushing out CO2 so nothing could've gotten in. As long as you don't disturb it too much and get it capped back off you should be fine.

Oh and don't sweat it. It seems something happens every brew that makes you wonder. That is what rdwhahb is for, lol. For me it is my fermentation chamber doesn't seem to be cooling down. That old chest freezer I bought off Craigslist and overhauled might be dying on me... bummer.

Needs a bigger blow off tube though...
BlowOff.png

Not really an issue with this one I don't think but I have a smaller carboy that has blown its top so I got in the habit of using the tube instead of the airlock. Much easier all around in my opinion.

Another thing is there is a little star shaped piece of plastic on the bottom of some of those airlocks. If there is one on yours just snip it off... it just clogs and, well, things get messy.

My most famous blowout also happened with a stout, about three years ago. Blew the lid clear off the bucket. Then I did some reading around this and other forums, and came up with a twofold solution.

1. I chill to a lower temperature (70F) before I pitch.

2. I went to a larger fermenter (7 gal.) as opposed to the standard bucket.

I have brewed a variety of beers since, including some pretty big ones, and have never had a a foamout, let alone a blowout.

the problem is that the krausen clogged the airlock, pressure built up, then the top blew.

the foam coming from the carboy should be a clear indication that you needed a blowoff tube.

My wife's brewing a 6G summer ale clone in a BB ale pale,the one that comes with the big "B".:D It had a blow off rigged,the next evening after pitching,we heard a loud POP! Like God just cracked another one loud. It blew it's bloody lid some 3/4ths of the way 'round!
Luckily though,no WOOIINK, & shizz splatter (Duke Nukem fans will get this one). Just cleaned the lid & seal with a star-san soaked towel corner & slapped it back together. Early the next morning,it lacked about 1/8" of blowing the blow off tube out of the airlock grommet. & it was only a 1.042 beer.

Dogphish said:
...or did you attache the blowoff tube before the top blew?

Sorry, I should have made that clear. The tube was on the whole time. It seems to have clogged. Next time in upgrading to a bigger tube!

The tubes that fit directly into the carboy neck without a gromett are the best. The foam would need to clog an 1 1/2-inch diameter tube to blow out... that will never happen.

I don't do secondary anymore. There is no use for it for a home brewer unless you are dry hopping or adding fruit to your beer. You get a better product if you leave everything in the primary for the entire duration of fermentation.

Not sure if you caught it in my first thread but those airlocks commonly come with a little star shaped blockage on the bottom of them... it is a good idea to just cut that off, specially if you are using your airlock for a blow off tube.

My most famous blowout also happened with a stout, about three years ago. Blew the lid clear off the bucket. Then I did some reading around this and other forums, and came up with a twofold solution.

1. I chill to a lower temperature (70F) before I pitch.

2. I went to a larger fermenter (7 gal.) as opposed to the standard bucket.

I have brewed a variety of beers since, including some pretty big ones, and have never had a a foamout, let alone a blowout.
I've always done my 5gal batches in a 6.5gal fermenter, simply to avoid something like this.

Granted I just did my first all grain brew(and if I'm not mistaken I think I've read something about krausen being more active with AG....I have no idea), but there was a metric ass ton of krausen, and if I had a smaller vessel it probably would have blown my airlock off.

I went to the hardware store and picked up 5/8" I.D. tubing. It was .99 a foot instead of 3.29 a foot like the 1" I.D. was. Not sure why there was such a price jump, but I was able to just cut the carboy plug to fit. It's an almost watertight fit right now. Thinking I'll seal it with some silicone for the next batch.

Back