Air conditioner for fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Hey all

I've got an old window air conditioner that I was thinking of using to convert my closet into a fermentation chamber. Is there any worries with running a window unit in an enclosed closet? Will there be any heat from the unit running? Should I rig a condensation drip pan or something? Let me know if anyone has done this before.

Hey all

I've got an old window air conditioner that I was thinking of using to convert my closet into a fermentation chamber. Is there any worries with running a window unit in an enclosed closet? Will there be any heat from the unit running? Should I rig a condensation drip pan or something? Let me know if anyone has done this before.

I built a box out of foam insulation and I use an old window unit to cool it. Works really well with a ranco controlling it. I have a old cookie sheet as a drip pan. Been using it for like 3 weeks I think and the ac unit doesnt run much at all.

If you have the AC unit completely in the closet, the closet will get hotter, not colder. You have to install it with the part that is normally sticking out of the window sticking out of the closet.

If you have the AC unit completely in the closet, the closet will get hotter, not colder. You have to install it with the part that is normally sticking out of the window sticking out of the closet.

+1 you would have to cut a hole in the closet door or something

You could always get some plywood (or whatever makes you happy) and make your own closet door with the correct size hole using the hinges from the original. I rent as well and have been thinking about the same thing.

EDIT: Drat! OMJ beat me by less than a minute!

One sheet of plywood (HD or Lowes will make the cuts if needed) and two sheets of foam insulation made a chest style box just big enough for two primaries and the cold side coils of a dehumidifier. It sits happily in my garage keeping my beer cool and out of SWMBOs cleaning rampages :D

If you can find a hiding place for the box it works well.

One sheet of plywood (HD or Lowes will make the cuts if needed) and two sheets of foam insulation made a chest style box just big enough for two primaries and the cold side coils of a dehumidifier. It sits happily in my garage keeping my beer cool and out of SWMBOs cleaning rampages :D

If you can find a hiding place for the box it works well.

A dehumidifier? That's a new one on me, I've never used one before. Do you have pics of your setup?

A dehumidifier? That's a new one on me, I've never used one before. Do you have pics of your setup?

I keep meaning to. Maybe this weekend since I have some brew time cordoned off and it's empty at the moment. Inspiration came from here.

A dehumdifier is about half way between a small fridge and a window unit A/C BTU wise. I picked up two off CL for $20 :ban:

Latest posts

Back