AHS Noble Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim4065

Reaction score
I bought one of these AG kits a couple of weeks ago, then bought extra hops to make my first 10 gallon batch this week. Anyone else made it yet? The SA Noble Pils is my favorite beer (after SNPA) and I want to do everything possiple to have it turn out well. It will also be my first Lager and my first yeast starter. Kinda a lot to juggle at once - but think I can do it. Gotta bottle two 5 gallon batches this weekend, then it's "brew time" next week. Any special cautions? Got a 2 Liter E flask and a stir plate, so I'm not very worried about doubling the White Labs yeast, and all other ingredients are the same (X2) so my big worry is the lagering. If it warms up a bit - say to 65 or 70F - is that gonna spoil the batch????????

I've never lagered but a lot of people dont let their ale yeast get to 70 so I assume that wouldn't go over well with your pils.

And I agree great beer.... too bad it's seasonal.

You'll probably need to more than double the amount of yeast for a lager, MrMalty.com is your friend.

The higher the temperature you ferment at, the less like Sam Adams your beer will be. Lager yeasts will ferment just fine at ale temperatures, but they will produce more phenols and esters, undesirable in a lager, especially a pils.

Well, I'm about a week into the "lager" (secondary) and it's kinda hard to hold the temp down. I can manage 45* OK, but it's tough trying to drop to 40*. I have the partial use of two freezers, and I'm rotating frozen bottles to keep 9 liters in the chiller. This will be my first and last attempt at lagering 'til I can get a dedicated refrigerator.

I gave it two weeks in primary at 55* - do you think I can get away with just 2 weeks in the secondary at 45*? Sure would like to get back to ales..........

Well, I'm about a week into the "lager" (secondary) and it's kinda hard to hold the temp down. I can manage 45* OK, but it's tough trying to drop to 40*. I have the partial use of two freezers, and I'm rotating frozen bottles to keep 9 liters in the chiller. This will be my first and last attempt at lagering 'til I can get a dedicated refrigerator.

I gave it two weeks in primary at 55* - do you think I can get away with just 2 weeks in the secondary at 45*? Sure would like to get back to ales..........

Yes, but it won't have the smoothness and crispness of a true lagered lager. (Lagered lager? Does that make sense? :D)

You could try bottling it, allowing it to carb up at room temperature, and then lagering in the fridge if you have fridge space.

Yes, but it won't have the smoothness and crispness of a true lagered lager. (Lagered lager? Does that make sense? :D)

You could try bottling it, allowing it to carb up at room temperature, and then lagering in the fridge if you have fridge space.

OK, and Thanks.

I reckon it'll still be drinkable so I'll probably cut it off and bottle next Friday. Onward and upward. :cross:

Latest posts

Back