AHS extract recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
I had planned on ordering a 6 gal brew pot from AHS this weekend along with a couple kits but it turns out AHS, and some other companies, are sold out of the 5-6 gal brew pots. So I was wondering if anyone knew what the size of the boils were recommended for the AHS extract recipe kits?

Specifically I'm looking at the AHS Oatmeal Stout and the AHS Belgian White Beer. I would have sent an email to AHS and asked them directly but I am concerned my email wouldn't be answered quick enough. <- I'm an impulse buyer.

I had planned on ordering a 6 gal brew pot from AHS this weekend along with a couple kits but it turns out AHS, and some other companies, are sold out of the 5-6 gal brew pots. So I was wondering if anyone knew what the size of the boils were recommended for the AHS extract recipe kits?

Specifically I'm looking at the AHS Oatmeal Stout and the AHS Belgian White Beer. I would have sent an email to AHS and asked them directly but I am concerned my email wouldn't be answered quick enough. <- I'm an impulse buyer.

I looked at my directions from the kits I did from AHS, and it looks like the directions say to do a 2.5 gallon boil. Those instructions are pretty old, but I doubt it's changed much.

You can do whatever size boil you want, of course. I believe I did 3.5 gallon boils at that time.

I would go with as big of a boil as you can (have to consider both the pot size and ability to bring it to a boil). My first brew I did only a 2.5gal boil and it didn't quite blend right.

An if you are looking at buying a new pot, I highly recommend something at least 8 gallons so when you switch to AG (you will), you have the room and won't have to buy another pot

I use this one, which I bought when it was on clearance a while back. It's a very solid pot, and I never had issues with scorching. Perfect for partial boils, and you can get pretty close to a full 5-gallon boil if you use Fermcap-S or this to avoid boilovers.

If you do plan to go with all grain or 10-gallon batches soon, I'd get something larger.

Second what parker and arcane said. Always better to go with a bigger pot so when (not if, when) you go to AG you will already be set and it will mean less extra equipment you have to buy.

Austin Homebrew's extract and PM recipes are assuming a 2.5 gallon boil. If you do a full volume boil you'll want to cut the bittering hop addition to 2/3rds of what they call for and keep any 15/5 minute additions the same.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Sadly I have no room for anything bigger than a 6 gal pot. I brew on the stovetop and the microwave above the range limits the size of my brewpot. And I do not forsee a propane set up for outside or the garage any time soon. I expect to be stuck with extract and partial mash brewing until we can move elsewhere.

Sorry we ran out of the smaller pots. We sold a lot of them for Christmas.

The pots are on order and they should be in stock on the 15th.

Sorry we ran out of the smaller pots. We sold a lot of them for Christmas.

The pots are on order and they should be in stock on the 15th.

The 15th? That would be great. I could have sworn the website said the 30th. I think I can wait around a few more days.

Latest posts

Back