AHS Double Chocolate Stout so flat!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraulein

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've done a few batches from Austin Homebrew and they all turned out great, except one. Their Double Chocolate Stout kit has been in the bottle for just over a month and it is still really under carbonated. I used the standard 4.5 oz package of corn sugar that it came with, and my sanitation methods are very good (the same as all the other batches). All other batches have great head retention and carbonation, but i can't for the life of me, figure out what I did wrong with this potentially delicious double chocolate stout. There are hardly any bubbles, and they are large. I added the priming sugar mixture into the bottling bucket, then racked the beer on top to get a good mix.
Any advice? Does this batch really need more time to carbonate? or did I make a newb mistake? Thanks!

Also, the beer has been sitting at about 70-72 F the entire conditioning time.

It could have to do with the yeast being used and the temperature you've kept them at. I bottled a saison in December after letting it sit in primary since summer this last year. It is just now carbonated. Saison yeast doesn't like the low 60's. You have sugar, you have yeast. It will carbonate. Maybe try moving it to a warmer part of the house.

I see up added the conditioning temp. If there are bubbles it just means you need to wait a little longer. Brew something else in the meantime! The trick to being patient is having LOTS of beer.

If you had a lot of patience and did a long primary and/or secondary, the yeast may have dropped out. If so, you need to practice more patience and wait for bottle conditioning. Also , if you had a BIG starting gravity, the yeast may be running out of steam. Again, patience.

Back